• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I may be buying a piece of property that has an abandoned house on it. I was talking to a friend in Ohio, and she was telling me that Ohio will pay you to remove abandoned houses on your property. Thanks to Kirk, I have learned that Indiana law differs from Ohio law.

Does Indiana have anything like this? Who would I ask? Where would I go to find out?

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I would start with the local building/planning authority for where the property is located. Unless it is in a major urban center, there probably isn't.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There is a blight elimination program but that is only available to municipalities trying to clean up unsafe structures, and I am pretty sure the municipality ends up with ownership of the property if they use those funds for the clean up. You could check to see if your area is participating in the program and if it offers any type of assistance to property owners who want to remove structures and keep the property.

You may need a demolition permit to remove it as well so you might want to check into that. Here, the permit is pretty cheap and the main purpose is so the county knows where the debris is going in case there is any asbestos or other toxic materials involved. It also lets them know to get the building removed from the tax assessment.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This ^^^ I think sometimes you can wrangle a charitable deduction from that but IANATL. The FD will smooth the way on required permits and burning is fast demolition. Check local environmental regs to see if you have to treat the debris any special way and if you will incur any costs that way

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Put a sign in front of the house that says "Please Keep Out! Rumors of gold coins hidden in the structure of this house are untrue."

Then, it will be dismantled for free.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Whatever you do, don't put on a mask and try and scare people away. Inevitably you won't get away with it due to the meddlings of some youths.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    For a controlled burn they have to meet EPA restrictions. Now if you are 'working on it' and the wiring causes a fire, they have to respond.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does Indiana have anything like this? Who would I ask? Where would I go to find out?

I am unaware of any such provision under Indiana law. But understand the only time I am involved in real estate law is when someone is ALLEGED to have trespassed on it, broken into it, stolen something from it, burned it down, shot it, inter alia.

May be tax provisions and local incentives for demolishing eyesores.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Maybe call assessors office. I had an abandoned house next to me..dealt with them a lot.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I may be buying a piece of property that has an abandoned house on it. I was talking to a friend in Ohio, and she was telling me that Ohio will pay you to remove abandoned houses on your property. Thanks to Kirk, I have learned that Indiana law differs from Ohio law.

Fire and police departments are always looking for training locations. You could ask the local FD to set it on fire. Explosive breachers from ISP SWAT could put a few holes in it "for training."

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You could do like I did with my barn and wait for mother nature to blow it down?
    yeah, probably not a good solution...

Any chance of salvaging it into a workshop or storage unit of some kind?

Top Bottom