• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So my wife and I haven't taken off for a vacation for a long time. All our money was going into our adoption.
    Now that it's finalized, and it's summer, we'd like to go somewhere.

The problem is, we aren't sure WHERE we want to go. So I'm hoping for some ideas. It can't be anywhere too crazy, nor far away, since we have a 5 month old baby.

Any ideas? Maybe a 2-3 day getaway. Heck it can even be a 1-day.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Will the 5 month old be with your or with the grandparents? If with you, then pick someplace nice without a lot of walking. Louisville is always good, as could be Nashville, IN. Up north you have Chicago or maybe even a lake in northern IN.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Will the 5 month old be with your or with the grandparents? If with you, then pick someplace nice without a lot of walking. Louisville is always good, as could be Nashville, IN. Up north you have Chicago or maybe even a lake in northern IN.

We've waited 5 years to have a baby, he's coming with us :)

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    We've waited 5 years to have a baby, he's coming with us :)

Just checking! :D My wife and I haven't had anything more than 5 hours together alone in the past six years (and that came over Christmas), so I look at things a bit differently.

Then totally go someplace where you can take it slow and stop frequently. The closer the density of what you want to see the better.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just checking! :D My wife and I haven't had anything more than 5 hours together alone in the past six years (and that came over Christmas), so I look at things a bit differently.

Then totally go someplace where you can take it slow and stop frequently. The closer the density of what you want to see the better.

I have to agree, but I will also say this depends on the baby as well. Our kids are practically saints in the car (1 y.o. son is a bit more "needy" than our daughter was but still low maintenance) so it's not that much of a problem for us to taken road-trips that are a little further away. If your child can't sit for that long etc then definitely look for something distance appropriate.

Is Smokey Mountains too far away? LOTS to do without a whole lot of walking, but being a tourist trap you will undoubtedly so some walking.

FWIW, my daughter, by her first birthday had been to: Niagarra Falls, Long Island NY, South Carolina, Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, and Lake MI and ALL of those trips were by car. The Yellowstone/SLC trip was the "big one"; she was almost walking at 8 months old and we did have to stop a bit more to let her work some energy out, but we had an amazing time, and we WILL be going back when the kids are old enough to enjoy it more.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Take a drive on the blue ridge parkway

Gatlinburg should have good discounts to bring back people post fire.

Give a desired drive time. I've kinda placed vacation no closer than 4 hours and no longer than I can reasonably drive in one day. That keeps a good bracket on things for me.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm sorry. I totally neglected a big congratulations on the growing family. You should be able to find things to do with a youngster. I'm a huge fan on the mountains and hiking. I'm my opinion a baby backpack is the single greatest investment I made. I've got 4 of 5 that have ridden in the same ruck. I prefer it for the mall, hiking, gun shows etc

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lexington Kentucky or even Louisville are very cool cities with plenty to see and do while also accommodating a baby. And since they are close it's good for you. Also it is another state so you still have that "trip" or vacation feel to going there. Also you don't lose your gun rights going there like you do in Illinois or even Ohio with their no gun signs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Newport Aquarium, plenty of colors for the baby to awe at, and adults find it interesting too. Then run to Jungle Jims and spend the afternoon walking around, and stop by the meat department to bring me some 28 day dry aged steaks!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My oldest and her BF just got back from a weekend on the Meramec River and loved it! Of course with a 5 month old you won't be kayaking but it looks like a great place to spend a quiet weekend by the river enjoying the scenery.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Newport Aquarium, plenty of colors for the baby to awe at, and adults find it interesting too. Then run to Jungle Jims and spend the afternoon walking around, and stop by the meat department to bring me some 28 day dry aged steaks!

+1!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    JJ's is a great day trip. I was thinking the other way, though. Maybe rent or borrow a camper and spend a long weekend at Turkey Run. Or honestly, cabin rental isn't crazy if that'd make Mama and baby more comfy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Hmm interesting idea!

Lexington Kentucky or even Louisville are very cool cities with plenty to see and do while also accommodating a baby. And since they are close it's good for you. Also it is another state so you still have that "trip" or vacation feel to going there. Also you don't lose your gun rights going there like you do in Illinois or even Ohio with their no gun signs.

Never been to Kentucky. I'll have to look up things to do in Lexington and Louisville.

JJ's is a great day trip. I was thinking the other way, though. Maybe rent or borrow a camper and spend a long weekend at Turkey Run. Or honestly, cabin rental isn't crazy if that'd make Mama and baby more comfy.

JJ's?
    The cabin idea sounds pretty cool.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    If you take your trip this weekend to the Louisville area and if your wife is into firearms, there is a large gun show going on there this weekend. You could always go to Mammoth Cave National, that is a beautiful place to visit

Top Bottom