• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Anyone have good luck with a website for buying a used car. Looking for something in the 3-5k range. I had multiple appointments this morning with sellers off Craigslist claiming to be private party. Show up and it's some rinkydink fly by night car lot. First one claimed to have all the maintenance records. Pulled the engine oil dipstick, not a lick of oil registered. Guy was all ready to take it for a test drive. HOW DO YOU NOT EVEN CHECK THE OIL? It's my fault for not checking out the sellers first, I am too trusting. Learned my lesson. Really want to buy from private party. Any ideas appreciated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I can second the FB pages. I've sold a vehicle on there in a very short amount of time and have had several family members buy from the pages like that.

You still have to do your homework though.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW. I like this one, it lets you use a lot of filters in the advanced search to really narrow your results, including eliminating dealers if that is what you want. Although I tend to just worry about the car rather than who is selling it, I admit I did recently have an experience on a small used car dealer's lot where a car had a dead battery. It seems to me that making sure you have cars that start would be a normal operating procedure, but I guess not.

https://www.cargurus.com

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Found one on cargurus, thanks rob. Its at a dealer and in really nice shape, thing is its from New York. Not sure if I should really freak out about that or not. Some lines towards the bottom of the engine bay are pretty rusty.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Onto another search. Too bad, I really liked this car. Thankfully no one was seriously injured. Other than a few fender benders this is the worst crash I've been involved in. It broke my drivers seat it was so violent.

I would also like to add, slow down in construction zones!!!!

16j4znl.jpg

2884ahu.jpg

54asn9.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I spend a lot of time on autotrader. Even if you don't buy you are more educated on the price of stuff. I just saved over $22,000 yesterday by buying a 3 year old F150 over a new one. Only 32k miles, so lots of factory warranty left. The 5.0 V8 is so fine. It actually averaged 23 miles to the gallon driving down to Noblesville tonight.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I've nailed it down to a 2010-15 Camry or TDI Passat. More than likely the Passat. I had one a few years back and really liked it. It was mated up to a 6 speed manual. Crazy fuel economy. Also since VW screwed up they all have extended warranties now.

Wednesday Enterprise picked me up to get my rental. He says would you like the Ford Focus or the Infiniti? He said it with a straight face and everything!

250t2mp.jpg

The Bose stero in this thing is Ahhhhhh........mazing!!!!

Thanks to everyone also. I will travel long distances to get the right car. I really want to find a private owner car.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I've had good luck with Autotrader. Craigslist is sketchy. That's not to say there aren't deals to be had on CL but in my experience you do have to be extra careful.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've gotten several from CL and a couple from forums but I've also been looking for specific things the last several cars rather than "something in X to Y price range"

Look at the wording in the ad, look where the pics are taken and what pics are taken. 90% can be filtered out at a glance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been strolling through the Face Book Market place for a while looking at trucks. Lots to choose from. Bought the one we have now out of there 3 years ago.

Top Bottom