• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't want to imagine a reality where my daughter's head is the safest direction to point a gun.

So easily preventable. Tragic. :(

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I feel terribly sorry for the family. The father was an idiot - there is no other way to say it. You simply do not ever, ever play show and tell with a weapon without making absolutely, positively sure that the weapon is not loaded. Absolutely horrific!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So, so sad. And as much of an idiot as the dad was, I can't imagine what he is going through now. I'd probably be tempted to turn that gun on myself.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Many people think that my emphasis on safety is taking away their fun. That one cannot be all tactical and bad*** if they are not waving guns around like pom poms.

That's not it at all.

1. What gets people in trouble is not marksmanship or mindset or not having a goatee or dirty baseball cap, but gun handling, or rather gun mishandling. The damage we do to ourselves is what we should focus on as it is within our power to not be fools with guns. This helps us individually and as a culture. Gun handling is the base of the triangle as without proper gun handling marksmanship and mindset are feckless.

2. The baddest of the bad**es that I know, not many, are epitomes of gun handling as they have seen too many of their friends shot by other friends.

3. Killing your child is a crushing burden that will only lead to further harm to self and society. Proper safety will eliminate this risk.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I went to high school with the father, didn't know him outside of that, he was a pretty smart guy back then as I recall.
    I have a few guys I work with that knew him better, they seem to think something doesn't smell right about the whole thing.
    I don't know, but I know there's a lot of rumors and BS flying around the facial book.
    I know until I get more information, I'm sure as hell not going to judge the guy. He and his family are going through enough.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Unless there was something else going on, and by all accounts there was not, I don't see the need for charges. Yes, it technically seems to fit the statutes, but it's not not necessary. He's been punished more than most of us could imagine.

Last edited:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Unless there was something else going on, and by all accounts there was not, I don' see the need for charges. Yes, it technically seems to fit the statutes, but it's not not necessary. He's been punished more than most of us could imagine.

A punishment that will last the rest of his life at that.

I can't imagine the grief I would feel if I shot my little girl.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It simply doesn't get much more awful than this. Others can teach the way they choose but I think the whole "I didn't know it was loaded" or "eet ain't low-dead" pack of excuses is perpetuated by four so-called rules with a myth as Rule Number One.

The strongest argument I can think of for making the safe direction rule as rule number one is because in order to check loaded status one must manipulate the firearm. Emphasize keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction and keeping the finger off the trigger first, then worry about whether the gun is loaded or not. It's just that simple. It's what we do every time those of us who handle firearms safely do anyway.

Just stop the crap that perpetuates people treating guns differently whether they think they're loaded or not.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    It simply doesn't get much more awful than this. Others can teach the way they choose but I think the whole "I didn't know it was loaded" or "eet ain't low-dead" pack of excuses is perpetuated by four so-called rules with a myth as Rule Number One.

The strongest argument I can think of for making the safe direction rule as rule number one is because in order to check loaded status one must manipulate the firearm. Emphasize keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction and keeping the finger off the trigger first, then worry about whether the gun is loaded or not. It's just that simple. It's what we do every time those of us who handle firearms safely do anyway.

Just stop the crap that perpetuates people treating guns differently whether they think they're loaded or not.

This. All guns are always loaded, treat them accordingly every time. My daughter is a year older than the girl in this story, she is a shooter. I've found that teaching her, has made me a better handler of firearms.

Top Bottom