• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm looking to buy a few power tools and I'm wondering what everyone likes or dislikes about what they have. I'll only be using them around the house, in the garage and for small construction projects. I'd like to get a good product that'll last a long time.

I've mostly looked at Dewalt and Bosche so far.

I'm mainly looking to start off with a drill and impact driver. I may get a circular saw and reciprocating saw if there is a package available at a good price.

Thanks
    Doug

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Based on my customer service experience with DeWalt, I would steer in another direction; Porter-Cable is a value line for DeWalt. Bosch makes good stuff, so does Makita. If price is your point you may consider Hitachi.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Based on my customer service experience with DeWalt, I would steer in another direction; Porter-Cable is a value line for DeWalt. Bosch makes good stuff, so does Makita. If price is your point you may consider Hitachi.

Thanks. I haven't been looking much yet. I did notice Milwaukee stuff is the most expensive.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a DeWalt 12v Lithium ion compact drill and impact kit that I use mostly at work (automotive technician) . I have been very pleased with it. I also have a Makita screw gun, and a 1/4" drive Snap on impact but it's apples to oranges because of different voltages, and battery types. I have really become a fan of Lithium ion power tools. I will never buy another NiCad powered tool again. My brother does heating & cooling and he swears by Milwaukee and Ridged. He has some old Makita stuff to but it's low voltage (7.2v) and lacks power for any big jobs

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have dewalt 20 v li ion drill, impact driver,and light kit and Bosch hammer drill and both have been good to me. The prior dewalt was over 10 years old when it finally gave up. I don't think up can go wrong with either. Then again I have a harbor freight digital polisher for my boat and its does a great job. I would not buy a HF for tool for something I use all the time but a $30 polisher vs $230 polisher works for me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Happy with my Dewalt impacts and drill driver.

Porter Cable used to build better tools. Wish they'd make Li-ion battery pack for my old ni-cad drill and circular saw.
    I have an old corded hammer drill and tiger saw that are solid tools I've had for years.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    My 12v Li-Ion dewalts are awsome. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. The 12v reciprocating saw however is pretty much useless.

I like the power of the 20v Dewalt drills but have had issues with the trigger switch on both the brushed and brushless models. It is intermittant but when the issue occurs, the drill won't get up to full speed.

If I had to do it again, I think I would go for the Milwaukee 18v Li-Ion.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    I have a rockwell set I have been happy with. I also have some Milwaukee stuff (4 1/2 angle grinder and sawzall). I will eventually convert over to all Milwaukee. Just hard to justify the expense when the current drill and impact driver work fine They are Rockwell.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    I've been loving the 20volt Porter-Cable stuff from Lowe's.

My dad and brother both have the porter cable stuff, and I have used them. We are all pleased with their stuff. Brother started out with drill and impact driver, and found a deal on a complete set with sawzall, circular saw, and a few other things. He purchased it and that put him at two drill and impact drivers, and like 5 batteries. We got my dad a set for Christmas too. So between them there are plenty of batteries, drills, and impact drivers.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've never used anything other than Milwaukee. They have, and continue to serve me well. I have hammer drills, impacts, and saws and have never had an issue.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have dewalt 20v li ion for work and another for home, 90% of my tools are dewalt.

Try mills (sp) supply at Pen. Pike and 465 most everyone at work buys their tools there as they run specials. I have not been there yet.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have had good luck with Ryobi 18v lithium tools.
    I used a 1/2" cordless drill to mix 5 gallon buckets of mortar when I tiled my kitchen and laundry room after I had killed a corded drill. Then I used the same drill and drilled numerous holes through 5" of concrete to move a drain. The damn drill will not die. I also have abused a cordless circular saw and sawzall which are also going strong. The cordless weed trimmers are also very nice.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've been using the Porter cable 20 volt tools from Lowes and have had good luck with them. They are cheaper than dewalt and some of the others. I have found out that the tools sold with the red batteries are a slightly upgraded version over the ones sold black batteries.

Top Bottom