• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    So I'm driving down I-65 around 11:45 this morning and, as I approach the Greenwood Main St exit I spot an airplane flying fairly low. I take a good look and HOLY COW IT'S A B17! It landed at the Greenwood airport and is on display through Thursday. It's The Commemorative Air Force Texas Raiders plane. Rides start at $475 but you can walk through or around it for only $10. Love the old warbirds.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    It flew over while I was weeding the garden. I got it on video but I was a little slow and it was already going away. I'll try again tomorrow if it goes by.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Awesome that you got to see that old bird.
    If you want to read something incredible about a B-17 pilot and his encounter with a Luftwaffe pilot over Germany, check out the book A Higher Call.
    Trust me; you'll be moved.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im still kicking myself over not paying the fee to skydive out of a B17's bomb bay doors for $250 back in 1999 at the World Freefall Convention in Quincy, IL. It just seemed so damned expensive. I should have charged it on my CC. Almost double now just for a ride.

Hoping to at least take the kids to tour it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think they are flying around 4:30 & 5:30 today and tomorrow. We went back and watched the 4:30 take off and landing. Hope to find a better vantage point today. We live a couple of miles north of the airport so they're flying nearly over the house on each trip.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Im still kicking myself over not paying the fee to skydive out of a B17's bomb bay doors for $250 back in 1999 at the World Freefall Convention in Quincy, IL. It just seemed so damned expensive. I should have charged it on my CC. Almost double now just for a ride.

Hoping to at least take the kids to tour it.

Wow. Kick yourself a couple more times for me. That would have been an incredible experience. You could have pretended to be shot down over Schewienfurt.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I never understood why the owners of these planes charge so much for a spin. About 7 years ago a few bombers came to the Valparaiso Airport. Rides were free, but a minimum donation of $250 had to be given to the society that owns them. The trip was only 30 mins. If it was $200 I would do it, but nowhere near $400.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I never understood why the owners of these planes charge so much for a spin. About 7 years ago a few bombers came to the Valparaiso Airport. Rides were free, but a minimum donation of $250 had to be given to the society that owns them. The trip was only 30 mins. If it was $200 I would do it, but nowhere near $400.

Somebody doesnt understand how much it costs to run these things. When something breaks, its not like they can go to the local parts store and buy a replacement. We are talking about equipment that hasnt been produced in over 70 years. LOTS of fabrication on the fly for these old birds, and that aint cheap.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They had one at the Elkhart airport about 4-5 years ago. Sentimental Journey was the name. I got a great picture of my daughter looking at it. Those things are simply majestic.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Somebody doesnt understand how much it costs to run these things. When something breaks, its not like they can go to the local parts store and buy a replacement. We are talking about equipment that hasnt been produced in over 70 years. LOTS of fabrication on the fly for these old birds, and that aint cheap.

This^, plus they burn 200 gallons of fuel per hour! That is aviation fuel, so they probably need at least 2 paying customers just to break even on fuel cost.

This guy, and he seems to know what he is talking about, puts the operating cost at about $3,000 per hour:
    https://www.johnweeks.com/b17active/index.html

FWIW, it was $350 when I flew on Aluminum Overcast several years ago. It was a lot of money to me, but I still consider it the best $350 I ever spent. It's only going to get more expensive and harder to do, if you want to do it, do it now.

Last edited:

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I had a chance to take a ride a couple years ago at the Huntington Airport. I think it was $400+ then. I would do now. Once they got the shot up ones back in the states my dad flew them to where they were mothballing them. He said it was purty scary sometimes. I think dad would really appreciate it if I ever got the chance again to take it. We have photo's of dad standing in front of his B-17s in his jodhpurs(sp) and flight outfits.

Morgan88

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lady who was part of the ground crew told me how much it costs to fly the old bird. I don't remember exactly what she said but the word "thousand" was in the answer. I watched a crew member pour 6 gallons of oil into it. He said it uses a gallon per hour/per engine. Straight 60 weight. No wonder they take so long warming up the engines before they give them any throttle.

Top Bottom