• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Wanted to send a nice bottle of whiskey to an out of state friend. In checking USPS, UPS, and Fed Ex, it appears none of them will accept the package. Aside from lying to them, anybody have an idea how I can ship booze?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No need to ship it. Drop it off at my place and I'll make sure it gets there.

It's a federal crime to transport alcohol not for personal use across state lines without a license. Might break it up into some 2-3oz samplers and package it in with something w/ UPS/Fedex.

Not that they are going catch you, or do jack squat to you if they catch you shipping just one bottle, but keep in mind if the UPS guy figures out what it his he can steal it and there is nothing you can do.... and if a government agent somehow finds out what it is, they will confiscate it.

You can always drop-ship it, if it's not something rare and unique... liquor stores in your friend's area can ship to him.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, great now I know.

I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread.

Unaware-Ignorance-of-the-law-copyMiami_FL.jpg

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's on the shipper to jump through hoops to be able to send to Indiana. We found that when we visited Napa valley most of the wineries didn't ship to Indiana so you had to go through a third party shipper that was licensed to send to Indiana. In the end we bought shipping boxes and used the packing material to pack it in our suitcases. All bottles made it home no problem.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    To be able to ship alcohol at all,you must be licensed to sell it. You cannot ship from one person to another, unless the shipper has an actual liquor license. It also must be shipped so that a minor cannot sign for the package nor cannot it simply be left at the residence because of the possibility that a minor could get hold of the alcohol. The carriers get licensed from the Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco to be able to carry shipments of alcohol.

To correct the misconception, Indiana does indeed allow licensed entities to ship and those of drinking age to receive shipments containing alcohol.

I worked in bars for 10 years and have worked for a small package shipping company for the last 12. We deliver alcohol fairly regularly, and, yes, we card.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I can't do it. Sure don't want to play games and risk the wrath of ATF. I see my friend about once a year so I'll hold off until then.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There is also those fella's from the south in that 1970's tv show. You know the one's with the car with the rebel flag on top and the doors welded shut. Now first you are going to have to ask uncle Jessie. Or this guy named bandit on the CB radio. He was know for bringing coors beer to states that did not have it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can ship the bottle (Collectible item)but not the booze. Lots of guys don't drain the booze when they ship the bottle though. PACK WELL.

I like this. Autograph the bottle and forget to drain it.

IMHO, there isnt squat they will do if they catch you. Not for a single bottle. Just play it safe and avoid USPS. I'm sure there is an obscure federal law that some postmaster with an inferiority complex would get you on. But I see this as MUCH less likely to happen if you use a private carrier like UPS or Fedex.

I'd pack it VERY VERY VERY carefully, even possibly double boxing it and sealing the inner box in plastic for safety.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and due to how they handle packages at the hubs, FedEx is less likely to throw and break the box. Ask me how I know. :xmad:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    TL/DR Fedex relies more on automated carousels and conveyors. UPS relies more on loaders/sorters to lug them manually, sometimes throwing boxes 6+ feet. (per our UPS driver who used to work for fedex)

6 years ago I replaced a bunch of servers. They were huge. (Large towers weighing 60lbs) I was having the old servers shipped home because they wouldnt fit in my car. So I used the new server boxes to get them back.

One got back to my office and I was summoned to our loading dock for a claim. The shipping box was designed to be used with a small pallet jack. The base of the box had cardboard risers folded and stapled to it for the forks to be able to slide under the box.

Apparently the unloader on the semi grabbed the upside down box by what he apparently thought were handles. Halfway through the toss the box bottom separated from the top of the box, causing the server to tumble out of the box and drop to the ground. Utterly destroyed the server. Luckily It was being recycled so I didnt need it again.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    TL/DR Fedex relies more on automated carousels and conveyors. UPS relies more on loaders/sorters to lug them manually, sometimes throwing boxes 6+ feet. (per our UPS driver who used to work for fedex)

6 years ago I replaced a bunch of servers. They were huge. (Large towers weighing 60lbs) I was having the old servers shipped home because they wouldnt fit in my car. So I used the new server boxes to get them back.

One got back to my office and I was summoned to our loading dock for a claim. The shipping box was designed to be used with a small pallet jack. The base of the box had cardboard risers folded and stapled to it for the forks to be able to slide under the box.

Apparently the unloader on the semi grabbed the upside down box by what he apparently thought were handles. Halfway through the toss the box bottom separated from the top of the box, causing the server to tumble out of the box and drop to the ground. Utterly destroyed the server. Luckily It was being recycled so I didnt need it again.

I use to ship a lot of heavy antique ham radio equipment. The damage I saw threw UPS was terrible. I started telling my customers to do not ship anything to me unless they used Fedex, DHL or USPS. I never had a damage piece of equipment threw them unless it wasn't packed correctly. I have seen well packed stuff absolutely destroyed threw UPS. They are dead to me.

Top Bottom