• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Mainer attacked by rabid raccoon drowns it in puddle ? Midcoast ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

wow, she killed a raccoon "with her bare hands".

I have to imagine i would run the other way first, if not, I'd kick the raccoon through the uprights. Rabies immunoglobulin needs to be injected into the bite as much as possible and then the rest up the extremity a bit. I'd rather get my leg injected than my thumb. It's a weight-based dose and you can only fit so much in your thumb. I know she doesn't know this, just tossing it out there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Mainer attacked by rabid raccoon drowns it in puddle ? Midcoast ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

wow, she killed a raccoon "with her bare hands".

I have to imagine i would run the other way first, if not, I'd kick the raccoon through the uprights. Rabies immunoglobulin needs to be injected into the bite as much as possible and then the rest up the extremity a bit. I'd rather get my leg injected than my thumb. It's a weight-based dose and you can only fit so much in your thumb. I know she doesn't know this, just tossing it out there.

Looking at the pic, you sure it wasn't "bare hand?"

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    65933105.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    "I’ve never killed an animal with my bare hands. I’m a vegetarian."
    So non-vegetarians out there are running around killing what is going to be their meals with their bare hands?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    "I’ve never killed an animal with my bare hands. I’m a vegetarian."
    So non-vegetarians out there are running around killing what is going to be their meals with their bare hands?

Years ago, I saw a case where the DNR wanted criminal charges on some guys who had caught a bass with their hands. In Indiana you must use a rod and reel. Fortunately that nonsense was squashed pretty quickly. I am of the opinion that if you can catch bass with your hands, you can keep everyone that you get.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    A vegetarian has to drown an attacking animal in a puddle with her bare hands. CHECK.

The dead raccoon was retrieved by Borch's dad, who packed it into a Taste of the Wild dog food bag and handed it over to the Maine Warden Service. CHECK.

The animal control officer's name is Heidi Blood. CHECK.

This article is full of win. :rockwoot:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    "I always thought of raccoons as this cute, cuddly forest animal," she said.

Raised on cartoons and modern fairy tales.

"I will just never look at them the same way."

Well, some learning has occurred.

I think raccoons are cool animals, yes cute, resourceful, clever -- and bear close watching. I'd hate to get in a fight with one, rabid or not. They can tear the **** out of things from dogs to kitchens.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Youre a doctor, what's that thing when amputees believe the have feeling in their missing appendage? That's my theory.

"Phantom" feelings

I had a guy get bit by a raccoon in his garage, he chased it away. Oops. Welcome to rabies shots.

had another lady get bit, she had the raccoon contained and a friend killed it. Animal control has a veterinarian on call. The vet asked if the lady could bring the head to animal control the next day. I said I'm sure she can bring the whole thing. He said they only need the head. I said then you're going to get a bonus body. Heh

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    "Phantom" feelings

I had a guy get bit by a raccoon in his garage, he chased it away. Oops. Welcome to rabies shots.

had another lady get bit, she had the raccoon contained and a friend killed it. Animal control has a veterinarian on call. The vet asked if the lady could bring the head to animal control the next day. I said I'm sure she can bring the whole thing. He said they only need the head. I said then you're going to get a bonus body. Heh

So animal control wanted someone else to dismember the raccoon?

Insert ISIS or Kathy Griffin joke here...

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Animal control has a veterinarian on call. The vet asked if the lady could bring the head to animal control the next day. I said I'm sure she can bring the whole thing. He said they only need the head.
    Animal control is serious about testing for rabies! Every time there is a situation such as this, heads are going to roll!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Killed an assault squirrel 47-48 years ago in Brightwood. It had attacked and bitten a man on my district and he was more than glad to let me use his .22 rifle to dispatch the offending beast. It was crawling out a limb toward me when I shot it. State Board of Health wanted me to cut off the head and bring it to them. They got the whole critter in a shoe box. Never heard the result. Back then, Animal Control was considered part time at best.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was raised in the country. A racoon in the wild is anything but cuddly in the wild. The lil SOB's used to manage to get the screen door open in the middle of the night (we lived in the country and never locked the doors and they were always open in the summer) Many times I can remember waking up in the morning and sitting on the coach and waking up a sleeping racoon that was either under or behind the coach. We'd get a shovel and a couple of brooms and shag there asses out. Never had a rabid one though, thank god! What she when threw is just down right scary. And she is a bad ass!

My dad got a live trap from someone and we'd trap them and he gave them to some guy that I am gonna guess dispatched them for the fur. We always got 8-10 of them at least threw the summer.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Some years ago I had adopted a baby raccoon that had lost it's mother and I'd gotten a permit from DNR to keep the raccoon, and I was at my vet's office getting it's required inoculations. I was holding the raccoon as my vet was giving it various shots and feeding it a paste wormer, it's shots being a combination of both canine and feline distemper and rabies vaccinations. Anyway, as my vet was giving the injections and switching needles, as I held the struggling raccoon, he raked my forearm with the needle, cutting an incision that didn't bleed much until he swabbed it with alcohol, when it then began to bleed in sheets down my arm. I remember asking the vet what symptoms of distemper I should watch out for, canine or feline, and he just looked back at me, unable to respond.

The good news was that I didn't get distemper, either feline or canine. And the raccoon was raised to a fat and happy adult, who was later released back into the wild (although our cat never did forgive us for keeping him in the first place).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Knowing just how mean and quick racoons can be, not to mention how much damage they can do in the blink of an eye, I wouldn't have gotten within a football field's distance of it.

Top Bottom