• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I'm looking for a recommendation of an Auto Mechanic near downtown Indy. I'm from NW Indiana, but am in Indy for work for a couple weeks. My truck broke down last night and I will need to have it towed somewhere. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for a recommendation of an Auto Mechanic near downtown Indy. I'm from NW Indiana, but am in Indy for work for a couple weeks. My truck broke down last night and I will need to have it towed somewhere. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Care to elaborate on the issue you are having? There a quite a few talented mechanics here on INGO, someone might have some helpful thoughts for you.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Care to elaborate on the issue you are having? There a quite a few talented mechanics here on INGO, someone might have some helpful thoughts for you.

Sure! My truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra, 4.8L. Went to leave the hotel last night, and made it 5 blocks and the truck started to shutter real bad and eventually died. It turns over fine, attempts to start, but won't come to idle. I thought fuel filter was a good place to start, so I changed that this afternoon in the parking lot, no significant change. It did run a little, but idle was really rough. If I tried to feather the gas, it would die. This came out of nowhere, I haven't had any issues with the truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure! My truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra, 4.8L. Went to leave the hotel last night, and made it 5 blocks and the truck started to shutter real bad and eventually died. It turns over fine, attempts to start, but won't come to idle. I thought fuel filter was a good place to start, so I changed that this afternoon in the parking lot, no significant change. It did run a little, but idle was really rough. If I tried to feather the gas, it would die. This came out of nowhere, I haven't had any issues with the truck.

Check engine light.
    Mileage on the clock..??

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    See if it run on starting fluid, if it does, it's the fuel pump.

You can always cut the bed instead of dropping the tank.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Does sound like could be a fuel pump. Smack the bottom of the tank with your fist a few times. Works better if you have someone that can crank thee engine over at same time. Try the starting fluid also. Another thing I've seen is Mass air flow sensor issues. Try unplugging it and see if it starts. When you unplug it the computer basically substitutes a good known value and will allow the vehicle to start if thats the issue.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I agree with the others. Cut the bed....30 minute job with a $30 grinder from Harbor Freight. I did this on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500. I just cut 3 sides and left the fourth as a hinge. Just don't cut too deep. When finished I used flat bar and sheet metal screws with some caulk, worked fine. And Sparky says, remember to use water on top of that tank when cutting it out.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    If it turns out to be the fuel pump take out 6 of the 8 bed bolts out, loosen the other two (one front, one rear), disconnect the tail light wires, disconnect the fuel inlet and tilt the bed, no need to cut your truck up. Make sure to support the bed properly.

Top Bottom