• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Mostly just a rant, sorry, got's to get it off my chest.

We've been sponsoring a couple kids to go to church camp for last few years. I now find out "sperm donor" is a roofer, but only does odd jobs, because roofing 40+ hours a week is hard and it's hot. Also find out both parents smoke cigarettes and pot. They have money for those things, but not for their kids to go to church camp.

Deadbeats and Turds really tick me off, I just don't get parents like that. Hey, you, the guy that has worked 50+ hours for 25 years, pay for my kids church camp, cause I don't want to work and I have smokes and joints to buy! Thanks.....

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine

We've been sponsoring a couple kids to go to church camp for last few years. I now find out "sperm donor" is a roofer, but only does odd jobs, because roofing 40+ hours a week is hard and it's hot. Also find out both parents smoke cigarettes and pot. They have money for those things, but not for their kids to go to church camp.

Deadbeats and Turds really tick me off, I just don't get parents like that. Hey, you, the guy that has worked 50+ hours for 25 years, pay for my kids church camp, cause I don't want to work and I have smokes and joints to buy! Thanks.....
    I know it might not be much of a consolation but hopefully the kids learn a little something from you and the camp that the can't learn from their parents.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

You sound like a really good guy doing a worthwhile deed. Good for you.
    Rant away. We know you're not doing it for yourself. Like the rest of us we're tired of those who would rather figure out ways to not care about anyone else.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's a pretty fair rant, I'd say.

Parents like those you describe really bring me down. At least that kid has somebody looking out for him, good on you. Imagine what his world would look like without your sponsorship.

Bittersweet, this one.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They need what you're providing. Probably more than kids with responsible parents. Console yourself with that.

This.

Pray they'll follow the example they're being taught at camp instead of the one they're being taught at home. At least they're seeing another side of life for a week of their summer.

Keep up the good work.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

I see more of this than you could believe, in my line of work, plus much work. Fortunately, I get to meet many great parents, too. I try not to let the good ones get overshadowed, in my mind.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You are just enabling the parents, no reason for them to pay for summer camp when someone else will foot the bill, about like giving bums money...

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    But think of the children. If you did it out of the goodness of your heart then it's not about the parents and you'll be blessed for it. If you are forced to do it,I'd be pissed to.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You are just enabling the parents, no reason for them to pay for summer camp when someone else will foot the bill, about like giving bums money...
    I REALLY hate to agree with this, but it's true. You are paying for mom and dad's (or sperm donor's) staycation. You do it because you do, and a rant isn't out of line, but, you did it, and now you have to deal with it. Great thing you've done, just keep that part in front of you and all will be as good as it can. Congratulations for being a good human!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Decided a long time ago that helping kids was more important than the guilt of enabling parents. I detest lazy, inconsiderate people.

You did good. Like many comments, the kid will benefit.

Don

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Good for the OP, and as others have suggested, I will pray that the kids learn from you something they won't get at home. You never know, you can just do your bit and trust that it makes a difference.

Regarding the parents; I once worked in an elementary school that had a Christmas gift exchange for the poor kids due to a very generous local business owner. We gave out things like coats, hats, etc. to kids that didn't have them. Teachers were astonished to see those same kids once again without coats when they came back from winter break. They learned from the kids that we had made the mistake of leaving the tags on the items, and the parents had returned their kids' gifts to the store in order to get cash for smokes, etc.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just a couple of thoughts from some wise ancients.

"whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

A lecturer in one of my freshman level courses often reminded the class of this principle: Do everything with eternity's values in view. I suggest you and your church make a greater effort to build a relationship with the parents. Include them in church activities to see local sports events, or trips to see the Colts. Go watch their kids play summer baseball or flag football, or invite them and their kids to a BBQ at your place. You have the kids involved, now use it it build the relationship with the parents. See what happens. It worked for my father.

Whatever the future holds, as my Carnegie instructor often said, "You done good."

Top Bottom