• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nickle that is.
    Emptied the change from my pocket today and out came an Indian head nickle.
    Unfortunately it is so worn that the date, and most of the other text on the head side is gone.
    Still, it's a buffalo nickle, and the first one I've seen in real life.

It's now out of circulation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I could have written the exact post you have.
    I found an old Buffalo nickel a few months back. No way to see a date but it's definitely the buffalo model.
    Hey, it's got to be worth at least a nickel... right?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have been spending my buffalo nickels for the last couple of years just to watch peoples reactions. Some don't give them a second look, and I think I could have just as easily handed them a steel slug the size of a nickel. A couple of people have tried to hand them back, saying that they are rare and I shouldn't spend them. Most people say "cool", either verbally or with their eyes. A dateless buffalo nickel is only worth about a dime or less, and the pleasure I get "making someones day" is well worth it. I once gave a young clerk at a hardware store a $2 bill, and she laughed and handed it back thinking it was fake! If I ever won the lottery, I think it would be cool to spend gold coins at face value. Several times I have offered various waiters a solid silver Morgan dollar as a tip, or a $5 bill. Every time they have chosen the $5 bill (the silver dollar is worth $20+). I watched a video on the net of a guy in California on the street offering people either a solid silver bar or a chocolate bar, and virtually everyone chose the chocolate bar.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I have been spending my buffalo nickels for the last couple of years just to watch peoples reactions. Some don't give them a second look, and I think I could have just as easily handed them a steel slug the size of a nickel. A couple of people have tried to hand them back, saying that they are rare and I shouldn't spend them. Most people say "cool", either verbally or with their eyes. A dateless buffalo nickel is only worth about a dime or less, and the pleasure I get "making someones day" is well worth it. I once gave a young clerk at a hardware store a $2 bill, and she laughed and handed it back thinking it was fake! If I ever won the lottery, I think it would be cool to spend gold coins at face value. Several times I have offered various waiters a solid silver Morgan dollar as a tip, or a $5 bill. Every time they have chosen the $5 bill (the silver dollar is worth $20+). I watched a video on the net of a guy in California on the street offering people either a solid silver bar or a chocolate bar, and virtually everyone chose the chocolate bar.

Your story reminds me of the Hornady $2 bill story a couple years ago: Employer hands out $61K in bonuses ? all in $2 bills | Money | omaha.com

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Our Great Grandma would give us Wheat Pennies, Buffalo Nickels, and Mercury Dimes from a box in her dresser as payment back in the early to mid sixties for helping her out on special occasions. Even as young kids we knew they had special value at that time; yet the temptation to spend them would occasionally overwhelm us. Today I'm most likely to find them when dealing with the Amish.

Our local auto parts store can be found with a drawer full of crisp two dollar bills on most days.

Top Bottom