3D Printer to print metal objects up to 1 meter...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    GE Plans World's Largest Laser-Powered 3D Printer

The prototype Atlas printer, announced on Wednesday, can print objects up to one meter long using titanium, aluminum, and other metals instead of the plastics, resins, and filaments that many commercial and consumer 3D printers use. That means it could print an entire engine block for a car or truck, for example, replacing the specialized machines and tooling that are currently required to make those types of products in a factory.

ETA: New Link: https://3dprint.com/178625/ge-additive-atlas/
    Appears the link above changed or you have to search on PC Mag for the article.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Not entirely true. The stuff I print with, would produce a gun that would work at least one time :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yikes, hate to know what that's going to cost... even the small-envelope metal printers are north of 1/2M...

Wonder what obstacles they're going to face. I can imagine they're likely going to have warping problems on an envelope that large...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is the output essentially powered metal? I can't imagine it would take a ton of pressure. Maybe engine blocks with cylinder liners, or firearms with machined (not printed) barrels.

Though, if it really is more like machined metals, that would be pretty darned slick. 1 meter (about 3 feet for you old folks), and with micrometer precision, would be incredible.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yikes, hate to know what that's going to cost... even the small-envelope metal printers are north of 1/2M...

Wonder what obstacles they're going to face. I can imagine they're likely going to have warping problems on an envelope that large...

Is the output essentially powered metal? I can't imagine it would take a ton of pressure. Maybe engine blocks with cylinder liners, or firearms with machined (not printed) barrels.

Though, if it really is more like machined metals, that would be pretty darned slick. 1 meter (about 3 feet for you old folks), and with micrometer precision, would be incredible.

From the other article link I just put in the OP:

“The machine will 3D print aviation parts that are one meter in diameter, suitable for making jet engine structural components and parts for single-aisle aircraft. The machine will also be applicable for manufacturers in the automotive, power, and oil and gas industries,” said Ehteshami.
    “We have customers collaborating with us and they will receive beta versions of the machine by year’s end. The production version (yet to be named) will be available for purchase next year.”

Sounds like they think they have a handle on pressure, warping, etc.

Top Bottom