Neighborhood Garage Sale. Could it go BAD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So this weekend is our annual Neighborhood garage sale.

We have about 200 houses in the subdivision. Today isn't real busy but tomorrow the streets are lined on both sides with cars. Blocking traffic and just all sorts of crazy to find that treasure for $.25

About three years ago I participated for one year to help my grown daughter sell off toys and clothes her kids have out grown.

What a total pain in the rear for what income it brings it.

I have stepped up my situational awareness program and weigh risk vs need. So this morning as I'm sitting in my office (aka the living room) trying to get reports completed for work, I'm constantly looking outside as slow moving cars drive past my house looking for bargains.

Is it really Thelma and Louise looking for a bargain or is it a car load of thieves casing the joint? It is probably the first part but my training wants me to yell "Freeze Dirtbag" to the little old lady in her Prius that has been driving by since 7:15 AM waiting for the sheet covered tabes to be open for business.

The old fart in me wants to yell "Get off my lawn"

Does anybody have any yard sale that went wrong stories to share?

Maybe I should move my office day to the nearest coffee shop.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We've participated in our neighborhood garage sales a couple of times. Between trying to watch for the thieves and having to deal with dolts who want to talk you down that last ten cents, it was more pain than profit. I made the mistake of walking my dog during our last neighborhood garage sale and was nearly squashed a couple of times by mouth breathing bargain hunters who were more intent on looking at merchandise than the road. The only positive thing I find about them is getting to meet more of my immediate neighbors.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    St. John has the town wide sale early in May each year. Usually the weather doesn't cooperate, especially this year. After this one, wife and I say never again. Just not worth it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not a horror story but, My wife pick me up a brand new never used, in the box Lyman lube-a-sizer for $20 at a yard sale... I say WIN

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    No neighbors and so far out yardsales would never work for us. It Is seldom worth the effort to drag the stuff out and set up the displays and spend the all morning setting out there even in a high traffic location. For us it easier to drop it off at s resale shop or more often goodwill.
    I did once find an old rem 700 06 at a yardsale for 250$.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Had a strange experience at a yardsale I was having. Had a guy, really nervous and acting weird, bought a laptop bag, a 50' package of phone cord, and was looking for guns and duct tape. I looked at my wife and was like who's this dude kidnapping?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Had a strange experience at a yardsale I was having. Had a guy, really nervous and acting weird, bought a laptop bag, a 50' package of phone cord, and was looking for guns and duct tape. I looked at my wife and was like who's this dude kidnapping?

No chloroform?
    IF he had chloroform I'd be flipping off the safety on my Glock.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We don't even bother with the annual neighborhood sales as a buyer and we live outside the 'hood as a one time seller. We've found that the neighborhood sales don't typically have any of the good junk we like, it's usually child oriented or the stuff they didn't sell last year.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    DEFINITELY pay attention. Being multilingual is also helpful. Haven can tell a great story about the Hispanic couple that thought they could openly plot to steal in front of a gringo because she wouldnt understand them.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Glad I live in a high-end neighborhood, none of that stuff is allowed, armed guards at gate house, no one gets in unless it's on the sheet.

Top Bottom