Am I the only one a bit confused when it comes to Dewalt's model structure?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I'm about due for some upgrades, and a short visit to Dewalt's website is leaving me a little confused. :n00b:

What I'm mainly looking for is battery cross compatibility. Do 20v max tools accept 20v XR batteries? Do 20v XR tools take 20v max batteries? Does the 20v max and 20v XR tools take the crazy new FlexVolt batteries? Do FlexVolt tools accept 20v max or 20v XR batteries?

So many unknowns. I'd probably know all this stuff if I'd been following their product line for years, but I haven't. Mainly looking for a super nice 3 speed brushless compact impact driver, compact brushless drill, cordless compact recip saw, and maybe even a battery powered nailer. All taking the same battery.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    20v max tools can use any of the three batteries. I think XR is just Xtended Runtime-- more ampacity.

flexvolt tools require the fv batteries.

the idea is the DeWalt could introduce a cordless line of 60v or 120v tools with batteries that still worked with the 20v max tools.

Ive had good luck with DeWalt, but I went Makita for cordless. Way simpler for me to understand.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm committed to 18V Dewalt myself at this point. If i had to start from scratch, however, I would take a hard look at Ryobi. Their lithium batteries are substantially cheaper and they offer other cordless outdoor tools (trimmers, etc...) that accept the same batteries.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Ok. It's making more sense now. Thanks guys!

And it seems, (for example) that Dewalt only has two offerings for a compact brushless impact driver XR. 3 speed, and non 3 speed. All the other offerings are simply just paired with different batteries. I believe.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    20v max tools can use any of the three batteries. I think XR is just Xtended Runtime-- more ampacity.

flexvolt tools require the fv batteries.

the idea is the DeWalt could introduce a cordless line of 60v or 120v tools with batteries that still worked with the 20v max tools.

Ive had good luck with DeWalt, but I went Makita for cordless. Way simpler for me to understand.
    Dewalt has already released the 60 v tools and batteries. I bought a couple kits for work through a specialty supplier but haven't seen them on sale at retailers yet. They are fantastic and the 60v batteries work in 20 v tools.

I would get 20 v dewalt tools with the intention of buying a 60v battery and charger (can't charge them on 20 v chargers)when they come out in retailers if it were me.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    They are out at some retailers. I saw them at the local rural king last month but it is sporadic. My brushless 20v has had 4 years of very hard use and refuses to die. Take the worthless 1.5ah batteries that come with it and sell them on eBay though. Upgrade to at least the 4.0ah models. You will thank me later.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    So, on a complete side note....

Can I get away with not having a jointer in the shop? I have a Dewalt 13" planer. I understand they are two different animals that achieve two different issues, but is there some kind of "woodworking hack" that can be used as a get around?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Can I get away with not having a jointer in the shop? I have a Dewalt 13" planer. I understand they are two different animals that achieve two different issues, but is there some kind of "woodworking hack" that can be used as a get around?

You can use a router table and a straight bit. Add an auxiliary fence (I used cabinet grade oak plywood, 3/4") and use a piece of Formica on the out feed side. I bought an end cap and squared the ends. Bigger table is helpful.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Router will work. Or you could buy the one I have in the classifieds. :D

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

You can do aspatience0830 said to straighten the edge of a board, but if you want to flatten the face of a board before sending it through the planer(a necessity for rough sawn lumber) you really need a jointer...the wider the better. I have a 6" delta and really wish I went with at least 8".

I guess you could build a sled for a handheld router that ride on long, straight guide boards. Secure the workpiece between the guide boards and use a straight bit in the router to shave off the face all the way down the workpiece....that would take forever and a day though.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Well, thanks for the help guys! I have a beefy Dewalt router, but no router table. So I'll either build one of those, or bite the bullet on a jointer. Weird that Dewalt makes a planer, (LOVE it) but not a jointer. :dunno:

I'll put it on my short list, along with a band saw, scroll saw, drill press, and a lathe. :spend:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Well, thanks for the help guys! I have a beefy Dewalt router, but no router table. So I'll either build one of those, or bite the bullet on a jointer. Weird that Dewalt makes a planer, (LOVE it) but not a jointer. :dunno:

I'll put it on my short list, along with a band saw, scroll saw, drill press, and a lathe. :spend:

Its funny just how long a "short list" becomes when you're buying tools...

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    WEN makes a solid drill press. Weve got one at the machine shop i work for. Porter cable is another good platform to consider but their smaller 20v batteries are a joke. They only last about 10min in the cordless grinder i have. Also if your considering the dewalt 3 speed vs the single speed, just pick up the 3 speed. The brushless tools actually last a while with the 1.5 or 2ah batteries

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    WEN makes a solid drill press. Weve got one at the machine shop i work for. Porter cable is another good platform to consider but their smaller 20v batteries are a joke. They only last about 10min in the cordless grinder i have. Also if your considering the dewalt 3 speed vs the single speed, just pick up the 3 speed. The brushless tools actually last a while with the 1.5 or 2ah batteries

Yeah all my hand power tools are Dewalt 20v max XR with 5ah batteries. Then I have the 60v max table saw, and 120v max sliding miter saw. They don't make a band saw, drill press, or lathe though. :(

I know WEN is made in China, but I think I'd be really hard pressed to find stationary machines like these that are US made, (that I can afford).

Top Bottom