• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We are looking for retirement property for down the road, also to be used for camping 4 Wheeling in the interim. We are looking in a few different areas. Problem is we are not from here, and in the past real estate agents have not been helpful with info about the area. We won't have any neighboring houses so that's a plus. Someone suggested going to the nearest Walmart to get a feel for the area. Any other suggestions you can think of?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few ideas:

Use Google Earth and try to get a feel for what's going on around your property.

If the local paper has an internet version, especially if it archives it old articles, do a search of articles with the names of your road and/or the roads around you.

Check Facebook and see if your community has one of those group pages and join up (if you can) to see what sorts of stuff is getting posted.

ETA:

See if there's one of those sites like 39DN.com that covers your area, to see what information you can find out about the surrounding properties.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have family in Lebanon and Cookville. There's some nice isolated land NW of Cookville.
    Sadly, WalMart is a staple in the area. I see no reason to use WalMart as a guide when you can just drive around and observe the world there.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have family in Lebanon and Cookville. There's some nice isolated land NW of Cookville.
    Sadly, WalMart is a staple in the area. I see no reason to use WalMart as a guide when you can just drive around and observe the world there.
    Cookeville is a nice area, Lebanon is nice too, but to get what we are looking for we are going to go East to find a tract in the ball park of 100 to 120 acres.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Cookeville is a nice area, Lebanon is nice too, but to get what we are looking for we are going to go East to find a tract in the ball park of 100 to 120 acres.

My farm (family farm is close to Lafayette) will be for sale soon. It's in probate right now with no time frame on being released. Greedy relative thing and she has no claim. Just wants money.
    Good people in the area if not a bit old fashioned and old south thinking.
    The modern world's problems have found their way off the beaten path.
    Choose your world well.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    My farm (family farm is close to Lafayette) will be for sale soon. It's in probate right now with no time frame on being released. Greedy relative thing and she has no claim. Just wants money.
    Good people in the area if not a bit old fashioned and old south thinking.
    The modern world's problems have found their way off the beaten path.
    Choose your world well.
    OK now I have to ask....do you know how they pronounce Lafayette here? OK wait for it sit down, OK here goes La Fay Et.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    OK now I have to ask....do you know how they pronounce Lafayette here? OK wait for it sit down, OK here goes La Fay Et.

You didn't do it justice. More like La-Faaaay-Et.

But that's ok. They think Hoosiers talk funny too. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We are looking for retirement property for down the road, also to be used for camping 4 Wheeling in the interim. We are looking in a few different areas. Problem is we are not from here, and in the past real estate agents have not been helpful with info about the area. We won't have any neighboring houses so that's a plus. Someone suggested going to the nearest Walmart to get a feel for the area. Any other suggestions you can think of?

I had another thought on this.

I'm not sure what that person that told you to check out the Walmarts in the area would you to find. Based on my experiences, here's what I'd expect:

The couple of Indianapolis Walmarts I've been in have more of a dirty, urban vibe
    The Bloomington Walmart has more of a college town/ blue collar/ with a touch of urban vibe.
    The Bedford Walmart has a more of a suburban/blue collar vibe.
    And lastly, the Paoli Walmart is definitely a rural vibe.

That's not really surprising is it? The stores take on the charachteristics of the people that work and shop there. The folks in the smaller town Walmarts tend to be a bit more friendly and laid back. I guess you might glean some insight by sitting on a bench and watching people interact in the parking lots or while shopping. But I'm guessing you'd tend to see the small town/big city continuum depending on which Walmart (and its relative location) you choose to observe.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I got out of the army in Faay-at-ville NC and spent several years there and became adicted to them.

Viva la France, Viva Lafeyette.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Really? We always laugh when we see the roadside stands. Do people stop and buy?

My wife loves them (I want no part of them). We both were born and raised in FL. She had a friend who lives in NC recently drop ship my wife some (I guess they are vacuum packed and my wife will have to do some prep to them). But yes, some people (even in my house) do... I wouldn't stop if I was starving.

Top Bottom