• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    (Via nextdoor.com, a hyperlocal social media site)

So a couple nights ago a distant neighbor heard a faint knock at the door. He opened the door and found a person claiming people in a loud car were chasing him. Trouble is no cars were heard by the homeowner at all, loud or not.

He offered to call the police but he declined And asked that they just turn off the porch light and let him stay there. He called anyway. The speculation is the guy was from a group home and having an episode.

Several of us pointed out the dangers of opening the door to strangers at three in the morning. I even pointed them in the direction of the Mas Ayoob video on the topic.

Of course there were many who decided that those of us saying it was a bad idea are cold heartless bastards and just ripping on the OP. They opened the door and didn't have anything bad happen so sunshine and lollipops are all that could ever happen. They couldn't see the forest for the trees, only seeing the disagreement and not any of the valid info. I bet these folks think that just because johnny didn't burn the house down when he played with matches that it was ok and he shouldn't be corrected and allowed to do so in the future. Nothing bad happened, right?:rolleyes:

I dont get people.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Not surprised. Since I don't do FB, I tried nextdoor for my neighborhood. I didn't last a week. The stoopid was too much. I couldn't take it. Promptly removed myself.

The general public for the most part is clueless.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't pay much attention to Nextdoor, except for the garage sale announcements or occasionally the warnings about car break-ins in the area, etc.. It can get pretty facebookish... (although I did run across Cameramonkey there :):).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My door does not open for strangers. Nor do I answer the door without my gun on me. To much stupid sh*t happens in this town. Do I get paranoid about it. I don't think so. I have a routine that I have stuck with since the first home invasion/murder that happened years ago. Just about a mile from me. Since then we have had many more home invasions even closer.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't do social media at all. Don't have a cell phone either, none.

I carry a gun at home. Also any time I leave home.

My door bell doesn't work and I am far from the door so you can knock all you want.

Door isn't easy to kick in and I would hear it if it happened so you would catch some buckshot if it happened.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    People think because nothing bad happened to them, it therefore never can.

At work, we call the ambulance for them. The broke a safety rule and said, "But, I've broken it before and NOTHING EVER HAPPENED!".
    Till it did.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I answered a 2 am door knock once. I was buck naked except for the full size 1911 in my hand. The obvious inebriated woman realized she was at the wrong house, she departed. After going back to bed, my wife asked me why I didn't get dressed first. My reply-Figured that would give me more time to get a shot off if need be while they were laughing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I answered a 2 am door knock once. I was buck naked except for the full size 1911 in my hand. The obvious inebriated woman realized she was at the wrong house, she departed. After going back to bed, my wife asked me why I didn't get dressed first. My reply-Figured that would give me more time to get a shot off if need be while they were laughing.
    To paraphrase Mae West, "Is that a 1911 in your hand or are ya just happy to see me?" :):

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    way back when I was still in college and living in the dorms, someone was being very loud in the hall of my dorm. I did let him go on for a bit then I had enough. I went out into the hall in my birthday suit and walked down the to tell him to STFU. The Ra came on the seen about the same time. He told me to either put some clothes on or go back into my room, he had it under control. I told him if the guy yelled again, I'd be back and kick his booty. Thankfully, he kept quiet the rest of the night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I will neither confirm nor deny I have gone out back looking for whatever went bump in the night in or near the same level of dress.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Not surprised. Since I don't do FB, I tried nextdoor for my neighborhood. I didn't last a week. The stoopid was too much. I couldn't take it. Promptly removed myself.

The general public for the most part is clueless.

YES, stupid, is everywhere !!!!!

You, can't fix stupid,

but I try to educate ignorance .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    way back when I was still in college and living in the dorms, someone was being very loud in the hall of my dorm. I did let him go on for a bit then I had enough. I went out into the hall in my birthday suit and walked down the to tell him to STFU. The Ra came on the seen about the same time. He told me to either put some clothes on or go back into my room, he had it under control. I told him if the guy yelled again, I'd be back and kick his booty. Thankfully, he kept quiet the rest of the night.

:faint:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I will neither confirm nor deny I have gone out back looking for whatever went bump in the night in or near the same level of dress.

While we have been preached to here that we should never "get out of the boat" I guess there is a tactical angle to "skinny dipping" as a tactical advantage if we do decide to exit.

:laugh:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can't necessarily choose your neighborhood or community based on their values and beliefs.

Just have to keep to yourself... if others choose to be victims, and ignore sound advice... there's nothing more you can do.

Back when I lived alone, freshly alone in my very own apartment, probably 22 or so... I answered my door around 11pm or so... some wacked out dude looking for alcohol. Asked if he could share a beer with me.

My very first gun was right there behind the door as I said "No thank you" and closed it.

Obviously I've learned since then to not open the ****ing door at that hour.

Top Bottom