• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Looking for recommendations for what is the best flavored bacon at a typical grocery store like Kroger, Meijer, or Wal-Mart. The stuff my wife buys doesn't seem to have much flavor.

MrsSilverlight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Kroger's brand of uncured bacon is pretty good. Costco's Applewood thick cut is the best price point I've seen for being uncured.

Although I'm sure you don't have the same restrictions we do (additives cause issues in our fam) it's thick cut and is pretty tasty without just tasting like salt.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Costco thick cut bacon is fantastic. The wife always has some pre-cooked, in the fridge for salads, sandwichs or omelettes. Thats a good woman right there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    All of them (not counting crappy turkey crap) is special in its own way. Ekrich always impresses me with its consistency. It fries up to such a nice crispy treat. Hormel Black Label is also pretty tasty.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I used to like Wright brand but it's so darned expensive because it has a cult-following. I quit buying it because their package got VERY deceptive; they would fill a package with very fatty bacon then place a couple slices of very meaty bacon on each of the viewing windows in the package. IMHO, screw them and their greedy marketing practices. For a nearly equally delicious bacon and no greedy marketing practices, as well as MUCH lower price-point I like the Hormel Black Label. It's thick, perfectly tasty, and I can get it for less than $3/lb

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Kroger's brand of uncured bacon is pretty good. Costco's Applewood thick cut is the best price point I've seen for being uncured.

Although I'm sure you don't have the same restrictions we do (additives cause issues in our fam) it's thick cut and is pretty tasty without just tasting like salt.

I buy the uncured bacon, too. Hormel, Applegate Farms, Meijer brand. I prefer to buy pastured uncured bacon when i can, not usually in the local stores, though.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So.......you're saying bacon comes from the grocery store...

For me it just appears on my plate in the morning, and/or for supper if I'm lucky and we're having BLTs (in the summer when my tomatoes come on).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Indiana Kitchen Thick Cut

Fun fact, Indiana Packers Corp which Indiana Kitchen is their "house brand" along with Home Kitchen (same bacon just not as nice of slices) makes I don't know how many other brands for various customers. A few years back it was up in the hundreds, iirc over 700. They make quite a few of the store brands along with others. The amount of bacon they process a day is just nuts. At least 7 batches a day, 6 days a week, and at least 10 tons in a batch...

Top Bottom