• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I stopped by a yard sale on the seedier side of Indy today, and bought an old GE stand-up/cabinet radio. Had the receiver and speaker cover(cloth), but no speaker. I have a nice blue tooth speaker that I plan on putting inside of it, but my wife told me it's not coming in the house, because she's afraid it might have bed bugs. Anybody know about this?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They can live in cracks/small areas. They can live for a a year or more without eating. It would have to have came from a really badly infested home. How well do you know the environment it came from?

I only can remember one person that have had them. It was at a summer cottage of some friends when I was a kid. I remember it being a big deal for them. I guess they are making a come back from what I have heard over the last few years.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm freaked out about the thought of them. I've heard horror stories.

There was a lot of spider web's/nests in it, so I think it was in a garage or shed.

I like the idea about the bag in the sun. I have some large clear bags at work, and the long 4th of July weekend should work well. Thanks.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I worked in that industry (corporate and then owned small business) for a number of years. Bedbugs are making a comeback and as patience0830 stated, heat is a good solution. When buying an old item of unknown origin, I would be more concerned about roaches than bedbugs. It is very common for used appliances or old furniture to give roaches an entry point into your home. Thankfully, there are excellent baits available that really knock down a roach population, especially products that contain fipronil. I don't have a ton of direct bedbug experience, as it was not as common at the time. However, the most common infestations we saw were on bed lines, frames, etc. When you check into a hotel, be especially careful of the back of the headboard. Infested rooms will often have a ton of bedbugs attached there. That will tend to make a vacation go south in a hurry.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Damn things give me the Willies. But, as stated above, not much can stand a couple of afternoons baking in full sunlight inside clear plastic. I tried the "hillbilly solar kiln" method on some relatively green and wet wood a couple of years ago, and it was impressive, to say the least.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Put it in a sunny location inside a [STRIKE]clear[/STRIKE] BLACK garbage bag for an afternoon. Once baked bedbugs are no longer a threat.

I don't think it would handle a ride in the dryer well.

FIFY. You want the black so it absorbs the heat.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    FIFY. You want the black so it absorbs the heat.

I used to think that also, now I'm not so sure. I took my daughter to a solar cooking thing at the local park, where they made "solar ovens". No black was used, clear plastic and aluminum foil. The one they made was basically the corner of a cardboard box covered on the inside with foil, stuffed inside a clear plastic bag with an additional foil covered flap at the bottom to reflect more light inside. 70 degree day and within 15-20 minutes the temp in the "oven" was over 120.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Take as much apart as you can and spray plenty of Bonide Termite and Carpenter ant killer.

Better living through modern chemistry.

Top Bottom