• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So I got an email today, telling me some of the features of my Photobucket have been suspended. I look into it and find that 3rd party hosting is now a premium feature. Ok, I think, if it's five or ten bucks, I can deal with that. I've enjoyed using their service and now they want to charge for it, that's fair.

They want $40/month. They can go fist themselves.

I'm all about capitalism and people looking for a market. I'm not about paying usurious rates for something that has always been free to me to use, being ad-supported. Supply and demand, and my demand for their supply just got cut.

From now on, unless they change their rate structure, all of my photobucket photo links (if I use them at all, which is likely with 900+ pics on the system,) will be as a URL link, not an img.

Anyone else out there let you store images for use and reuse? I know about imgur, but I don't know if the allow 3rd party or storage, or if they wipe image urls after a while.

Thanks guys!

Blessings,
    Bill

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    DSC_1060p2w_zpsx0jxvl0h.jpg

I just linked this from PB. :dunno: :dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    DSC_1060p2w_zpsx0jxvl0h.jpg

I just linked this from PB. :dunno: :dunno:

Great pic! I'm glad it works for you still. I imagine it's a matter of time. I just had to rehost all five pics in my sig because of this change. I won't type it here as that would be creative spelling to avoid the cuss filter, but spoonerize their name, and you get an idea what I think of them.

(spoonerizing is when you reverse consonants... so the Duke and Duchess of Windsor become the duck and doo-chess....

Photobucket. Think about it. Don't post it. )

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Cute kiddo. Yeah, you can move what you have stored, but probably one pic at a time.

Alternatively, download each pic from photobucket to one folder on your puter and upload them all in one fell swoop (or one swell foop) to wherever you're hosting them next.

It also might be possible for you to store them on your own puter and make them available, but I don't know how you'd do that. Anyone?

Blessings,
    Bill

Can we move what we have stored in there...???

Just shared this one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can we move what we have stored in there...???

Just shared this one.

Holy crap the terrorists are getting big!

I heard there is a cap. Everyone gets SOME. But so many hits/mbits of 3rd party traffic and it locks down until the next month. They are allowing for casual hotlinking, but not what we are using it for. A hotlink is a losing deal for them. You use their bandwidth, and they get nothing in return. (no ads, etc)

Expect this trend to continue. Dropbox eliminated it from ALL accounts in April. I was ready to pony up cash for a premium account because it worked so smoothly. When they told me the entire feature was going away I told them to pound sand.

I'm lucky. I have the ability to setup a web server to share mine out. (It helps I run a data center) Once I get mine sorted out I'll be posting from there. I added a photo backup app on my phone to upload to the server. Now I need to buy an app for the server to allow me to browse the pics like an album and I'll be set.

Hell. my first test here...

http://www.kd9uri.com/~pics/IMG_3212.JPG

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Holy crap the terrorists are getting big!

I heard there is a cap. Everyone gets SOME. But so many hits/mbits of 3rd party traffic and it locks down until the next month. They are allowing for casual hotlinking, but not what we are using it for. A hotlink is a losing deal for them. You use their bandwidth, and they get nothing in return. (no ads, etc)

Expect this trend to continue. Dropbox eliminated it from ALL accounts in April. I was ready to pony up cash for a premium account because it worked so smoothly. When they told me the entire feature was going away I told them to pound sand.

I'm lucky. I have the ability to setup a web server to share mine out. (It helps I run a data center) Once I get mine sorted out I'll be posting from there. I added a photo backup app on my phone to upload to the server. Now I need to buy an app for the server to allow me to browse the pics like an album and I'll be set.

Hell. my first test here...

http://www.kd9uri.com/~pics/IMG_3212.JPG

Yup....growing like weeds and smart as heck.

So when this all drops off any and all pics posted up in Ingo from the bucket will "Poof".........disappear.
    Looks like the free **** is going away.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just pay for a website with a web host and use a FTP service on it to host pics. They have unlimited storage and the one I am currently with is currently running $6 a month.
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Reseller Hosting | InMotion Hosting

There are a lot of others out there too.

You also get your own domain name, email and can setup a number of other apps if you so desire.

And this app can be set to upload your pics and resize them to a smaller, more screen friendly resolution.

PhotoSync ? transfer and backup photos & videos - www.photosync-app.com

And while you are at it, if you are paying more than $15/year for the domain name, you're being screwed. I use directnic. Love their service. I steer clear of Network Solutions as well as Godaddy. NS is smarmy and is known for being difficult to do anything but give them your money. Godaddy is not far behind them. (I deal with both on a regular basis moving domains away from them, and they are by far the hardest to deal with)

To clarify the web hosting piece:
    $15/year for a domain name. Thats the license/use fee to use the domain. (think of it as a business license)
    $xx/month for hosting fees. That is the rent you pay to the company that houses your physical website files.

And while not set in stone, .com was intended for commercial sites. .org was for personal and not for profit. (though you can do either and no internet police will show up if you deviate from the standard)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah for my google-fu. Found this thread...

Yep...

5b5f4453.jpg

Be nice to have an alternative with similar features. A phone app that auto-uploads to start.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Great pic! I'm glad it works for you still. I imagine it's a matter of time. I just had to rehost all five pics in my sig because of this change. I won't type it here as that would be creative spelling to avoid the cuss filter, but spoonerize their name, and you get an idea what I think of them.

(spoonerizing is when you reverse consonants... so the Duke and Duchess of Windsor become the duck and doo-chess....

Photobucket. Think about it. Don't post it. )

Blessings,
    Bill

Bhotopucket? What's wrong with that. Makes it through the cuss filter just fine. :dunno:

:):

Top Bottom