• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, my wife loves tropical/beach vacations, I hate vacations in general. It's been a while since we've gone but I think it's time we do something for her.

But I don't have a clue where to go, or what to do. She would love a cruise, but I've seen the news and don't care for a cut-rate cruise line that is going to strand me in the ocean or tip my boat over on some rocks. What cruise-line do you think offers a good value without compromising safety & service too much?

Any resorts in the carribean that offer a good value? Neither one of us speak foreign languages so we aren't really the "go it alone" type; the resorts that are pretty much a gated community may be the best option for us.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Get on Groupon and look for an all inclusive deal to Punta Cana, DR. Cheap vacation but absolutely amazing place to visit, and Punta Cana is very safe. All the resorts have security that I've seen

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    For a cruise, you should check out SeaDream Cruise Line. They are all-inclusive. Small ships, well run. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Greek Isle cruise that we took. They do Caribbean cruises also.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Jamaica ftw. Look at negril :rockwoot:

we will be at sandals south coast in September

you seem jaded. Relax mon. Enjoy other places

If I had your money it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is, my wife wants to vacation like you, but I don't make that kinda money so I have to do it on a budget. It's stressful price-shopping on vacations. Although all-inclusive stuff probably takes quite a bit of hassle out of it. I'm not really jaded, I would just rather get some things accomplished around the house/farm if I'm taking time off work. I can just as easily enjoy time with my family on the farm than I can being "the man that's expected to have it all planned out" on a vacation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you dead set on a cruise? If you just want to vacation on a beach, Gulf Shores AL is an easy drive and there's plenty of stuff to do besides the beach. St. Augustine, FL is a bit more of a drive, but also really nice.

If you can go in October, it's still warm enough to get in the water but lodgings are much cheaper. Look at airbnb and flipkey.com to find a condo. It's often cheaper than a decent hotel for the week, plus you'll get a kitchen and not have to eat out every meal.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm with you to an extent. I/we make our home so that we just enjoy being there. But it is nice and good for your outlook to get away to foreign places to see how other's live. It helps with your perspective on life in the states and your attitude to.

That said, I am looking into our next vacation(we go every 5 years or so) to be at an all-inclusive location. We have taken several cruises and I kinda like them. Can do something different everyday or do nothing some days. We have found them to be "bargain vacations" especially if you do them right.

I would suggest to go with Royal Caribbean as least. I have done them with RC and with Carnival and RC is a step above Carnival. Carnival is okay, but everything is just a little better/nicer with RC. At least it was the last time I cruised with them.

Pick a Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise. A week is best. It may seem long, but it takes 2-3 days to get your "sea legs" and slow down from our hectic lives we sometimes don't realize we are living day to day. Plus the days at sea are fun because you can just hang out and really relax.

If you book a lower priced cabin(you will only sleep in it, so it's not a big deal), book any excursions directly with the company(not through the cruise ship), take a couple bottles of wine on board (if they allow it and you guys like wine), and don't get sucked in to all the "sales" they constantly have on "stuff". You are there to experience, not accumulate!

Gulf Shores sounds like it might even be less expensive since you can drive it. Nice down there or so I hear.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I'm like you OP, just as soon stay home but my wife loves the ocean, so we're going to Punta Cana DR in the morning. It's all inclusive and reasonably priced. I'll let you know when we get back if it was worth it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Costa Rica... all day long. You get the beach and the jungle. Cheap hoo...alcohol, food, and accommodations. lol

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Love me some Cancun. The Omni with the all inclusive package was great! If you have money, Palace resorts are fantastic. All inclusive is the way to go. Also stayed at "Now Jade" which is south of the Cancun main area. If you're not going off resort, it's also very good. But, if you go to Cancun, go to Xel-Ha (cell ha). All inclusive natural waterpark. Had so much fun there!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Wife and I had a great time on the Gulf Coast. From Mobile (check out the USS Alabama) to Pensacola. (check out the Museum of Naval Aviation) Lot's of shopping for the wife in different towns like Panama City.
    Destin is very nice. Great area we hope to go back to. Never had a desire to cruise but that's just me.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If I had your money it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is, my wife wants to vacation like you, but I don't make that kinda money so I have to do it on a budget. It's stressful price-shopping on vacations. Although all-inclusive stuff probably takes quite a bit of hassle out of it. I'm not really jaded, I would just rather get some things accomplished around the house/farm if I'm taking time off work. I can just as easily enjoy time with my family on the farm than I can being "the man that's expected to have it all planned out" on a vacation.

Carribbean vacations are generally cheaper than going somewhere in the states. Groupon and vacation express are great places to look. Very budget friendly

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Cozumel is a safe destination although due to the nature of the currents around the island there are better beach destinations.

Spec4 is right on in his assessment of the Redneck Riviera from Gulf Shores/Mobile to Panama City. If you're a Buffett fan his sister Lulu has a couple of places (Lulu's) down in the area; pretty much Margaritavilleesque in its menu and execution but a nice little piece of trivia. We've been known to take off Thursday/Friday then drive down to the area and be back at work on Monday morning.

Thegeek talked about Xel-Ha in Riviera Maya and it is definitely a neat take on a waterpark but unless you speak Mexican(Spanish?) pass on the heritage show that takes place at night. Pretty neat show with a lot of color and action but unless you speaka da lingo it doesn't make much sense. I haven't been to Cancun in a few years but would have a problem walking from the hotel to "the strip" nowadays but if you do go and it's still open check out the Coco Bongo Club. They used to have a music and action show that would definitely assault your senses, just don't buy into the "all you can drink" package because after that first drink is delivered you'll see that it was "all you can drink" because you'll never see a waiter or waitress again!

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    We have vacationed the last two years in Hilton Head and really enjoyed the area. It is close to both Savannah and Charleston which are nice little day trips and the drive from central Indiana isn't too bad. We have done Panama City/Destin several times and like those spots as well.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Go on Airbnb and rent a place in Marco Island, FL. You can get a million dollar house this time of year for less than you can a room at some hotel. Beach is fantastic, restaurants very good and nothing is crowded, plus you're in the good ole US of A.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    When are you going on this vacation? I live in Florida and I can tell you it is so damn hot here there is nothing fun about being here right now, 4 showers a day, sweat soaked, dehydrated, miserable. Go north, go to the beaches of MI, go out west and see the old west but don't come to the sorry south till at least Dec.! Hot, muggy, bugs. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Top Bottom