• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So, I do a lot of data entry at work and figure a better way to pass the time would be listening to podcasts. So some questions for you guys. What is the best app to use (android) to listen to podcasts, and what podcasts are good to listen to?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Excellent way to pass time when your mind isn't being taxed, like when you are driving or exercising. I use AntennaPod: nice free, advertising-free, open-source app.

There are thousands of podcasts out there on all kinds of subjects. Which subjects are you interested in? When you click on "Add Podcast" in AntennaPod, it offers you three directories to search- ITunes, FYYD and Gpodder.

For guns, I listen to Gun Talk and Armed American Radio. I know that there are some history-related podcasts out there, but I don't know enough about them to recommend any.

Edit: One interesting feature that you might want to take advantage of... In AntennaPod (and likely other players), you can alter the playback speed. Doesn't work well for music, but is excellent for spoken-word broadcasts. I generally listen to podcasts at 1.25x to 1.5x speeds depending on talking speed and difficulty of content.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I enjoy:

"The Joe Rogan Experience"
    "Penn's Sunday School" with Penn Jillette
    "Weird Medicine" with Dr. Steve
    "WTF?" with Mark Maron

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite. Many here will appreciate his work as they grew up with Paul Harvey. This podcast is done in the same style. And he admits it is intentional. He does excellent work.

Podcast | Mike Rowe

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I love this version. This is one of his first. (they arent typically videos)

[video=youtube;izSz9_DHXkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izSz9_DHXkc[/video]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1 on Phase2's suggestion for gPodder for your RSS feed downloader, because there's a version of it that runs on Droid, but it's open source and has a version that runs on Linux, which makes me happy.
    Everyone's tastes differ when it comes to podcasts, but there are the ones that I listen to daily/weekly, all of them political or current events type shows and all free downloads:

The John Batchelor Show
    Indiana Week in Review
    Townhall Review
    Beyond the Beltway

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts are a fantastic listen for anybody interested in history, and many are free.

I just listened to this one..... Show 59 - (Blitz) The Destroyer of Worlds.....

WOW. I learned so much. I never really understood much about the Cuban missile crisis. He explained the details and how close we were to nuclear war. That was just some of the show. So much dang info.

I'll be listening to a lot more of this guy. The "Blueprint for Armageddon" 6 part series (about 20 hours or so) will be my next listen.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    podcast addict is the app I use, it works well. I second hardcore hostory, JRE episodes are good depending on the guest.

A really good new podcast is Malcom Gladwells revisionist history.

I subscribe to a lot but the best I've found are:
    Radiolab - covers everything
    Planet money - economics shorts
    More perfect - covers supreme court
    Waking up - sam harris on everything
    Invisibilia - cognition / psychology brain stuff
    Martyr made - along the same vein of hardcore history but on Israel- Palestine
    Infinite monkey cage - science

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll be listening to a lot more of this guy. The "Blueprint for Armageddon" 6 part series (about 20 hours or so) will be my next listen.

Finished 5 parts of this and just starting part VI. Wow. Just wow. Some if the stats he gives are mind blowing. The number of artillery shells fired by the Brits in a few weeks of a single battle was in the millions. Unimaginable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Up and Vanished is pretty cool. It started last fall. The host investigates a real cold case and it gets real results.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Music to my beers from 1039 in mishawaka. Cover lots of beer news, brewing tips, etc.

Top Bottom