• KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Starts next week.

Who is going and when?

I will be there off and on all week. My granddaughters will be showing horses, goats, cats, rabbits, and a mini horse.

And yes, they have posted no gun signs all over the place.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll be there several times. even before it opens. 4-H project check-in Monday, Rocket launch Tuesday.

Look for the horse trailer marked "HoughMade Meadows" on the day of the mini horse show. No. I'm not kidding.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Just about done making the (at least) twice daily run to the Newton County fairgrounds with my daughter for chores, judging, shows, etc. No more runnng until our Florida trip if I can help it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I think it was 4 or 5 years ago that I OC'ed from the time they opened till the time they closed. Not one word was said to me. I even have a family picture with the Porter County Sherif that was taking inside their tent. I think I even posted it on INGO. I'll try to find it. Haven't been back since then.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So do they do a body search or something? How would they know if you are carrying conealed?

Just curious as we are going to see Toby Keith on Friday.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So do they do a body search or something? How would they know if you are carrying conealed?

Just curious as we are going to see Toby Keith on Friday.
    Nope. No searches in the past anyway. I've carried every year there, sometimes like Lone openly. That was before I even realized there were a GFZ.

I will let you know if anything changes, but I doubt it will.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Nope. No searches in the past anyway. I've carried every year there, sometimes like Lone openly. That was before I even realized there were a GFZ.

I will let you know if anything changes, but I doubt it will.

Thanks! I appreciate that. I would hate to have to walk back to the car to stow my pistol, and I really dislike leaving it in the car in a situation like that where a break in could easily happen.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    How can it be a gun free zone?

From what I understand, it can be based on who owns it. If it is county owned property and the county has an ordinance banning firearms on such property, I believe it is legal for them to say no guns. Perhaps an attorney could better explain this, but I do recall another thread on here recently that addressed firearms at fairgrounds. Not all are county owned properties.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    From what I understand, it can be based on who owns it. If it is county owned property and the county has an ordinance banning firearms on such property, I believe it is legal for them to say no guns. Perhaps an attorney could better explain this, but I do recall another thread on here recently that addressed firearms at fairgrounds. Not all are county owned properties.

Nope you have some stuff wrong.
    No government entity other then the indiana congress can ban firearms on .gov owned property anymore. So if the county owns the fairground they can not ban firearms.

HOWEVER most counties do not run they county fair. They have a private entity run it for them and that entity rents tge county fairground. In doing that the event organizer can say no firearms allowed. It is NOT against the law to take a firearm. However if the organizer sees the firearm they can request that you leave. If you do not then they can call the police for treaspassing. You will be arrested for treaspassing, not for a weapons violation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If the county runs the fairground. They can not say no firearms. Nor can they toss you for treaspassing. But i do not know of any indiana county in nwi that runs their own fair.

All use private chartered organizations that sole purpose is to run the fair.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Starke and Jasper counties both run their fairs. The county fair boards run them.

Thanks for the clarification on the gun bans. So does that mean that guns are not illegal in county owned buildings that do not house a courtroom? I realize this is going off on a tangent so maybe that should be it's own thread, but I do know Starke county commissioners have signed an ordinance prohibiting firearms on county properties. I know they are off limits in buildings that house a courtroom, but what about a building that just has county offices?

Hmmmmm

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Im 90% sure that stark county CANNOT do that unless they have a court house on that property or a licensed child care or a few other gfz on site.

Are you sure they passed such ordianance. They can be sued and up to x3 damages awarded for it.

Guy in ingo has sued several local .gov over this on behalf of ingo members.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    ��
    Im 90% sure that stark county CANNOT do that unless they have a court house on that property or a licensed child care or a few other gfz on site.

Are you sure they passed such ordianance. They can be sued and up to x3 damages awarded for it.

Guy in ingo has sued several local .gov over this on behalf of ingo members.

I was actually just reading the ordinance on their site to refresh my memory on how it is worded. It was passed in 2011. It has not been repealed or replaced.

http://co.starke.in.us/ordinances/2011-03_gun-ordinance.pdf

Of note, most county meetings are held at the annex building which does not house any courtrooms....just offices for some of the departments not associated with the courts.

Top Bottom