• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    As we take care of my FIL on his deathbed we were talking about what we have experienced. Four years of caring for my mil and FIL watching the decline. We have become an expert on dealing with it. The mind and brain breaking down is horrible to watch.

Our kids feel the same way.

The good thing is neither of them them were placed in a nursing home and forgotten. Our kids spent a lot of time with them. I'm very proud of my wife for what she has done with all her health issues. I know it was hard on her but I know it helped keep her strong.

My my wife and I did say to each other we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Longbow, I feel for you. Having watched my funny, smart, loving grandmother descend the terrible ladder of inability that is Alzheimer's and seeing what my grandfather went through taking care of her over the last 15 yrs I have an idea what you've been through. My hope is that God will bless you in a measure that matches the blessing you've provided for your wife's parents when they needed you the most.

Be well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I feel for ya, my dad died of this bastard disease last year. Its like watching a loved one dye twice, once when their mind goes then when their body goes. Prayers for you and your family just hang in there...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It's been almost two years since my Fil passed, we cared for him as well in our home. My grand father went that way as well, it's a horrible thing to deal with but like you said you know they were loved until the end. Def worth the price.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Alzheimer's is hardest for those who are the caregivers. I absolutely despise the disease. I am sorry for your loss, but no that when your loved one is gone, they are truly suffering no more.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Your story, as well as being one of heartbreak, is even moreso one of commitment, character, love, and devotion. Anything too easy is almost never of eternal value, and most certainly, everything such as you`ve done is of immeasurable eternal value. You showed one of "the least of these", honor and dignity at a time when they couldn`t provide it for themselves. God very richly bless you and yours.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I thank you for sharing your story longbow. It reminds me how fragile life is and to enjoy every day and time spent with loved ones.

Top Bottom