• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are currently sitting in Washington DC on the last leg of our trip. It's been awesome so far.

Started in Niagara Falls. Did the behind the falls tour, Maid of the Mist trip, hiked around a lot. We stayed on the Canadian side overlooking the falls. Was a full moon rising upstream from the falls every night.

Then we headed to Boston which was my favorite part. We stayed in the north end, little italy. I google searched "restaurants" and 20 closest were all italian. hah. We were a block away from the Old North Church and Copp's Burying hill. The tour of the Old North Church was pretty cool to be in the same bell ringing chamber as Revere was. We did the whole freedom trail but the Constitution was in drydock for repair so we didn't get to tour it. Climbed the Beacon Hill monument though. Standing in the room in the Old Statehouse overlooking the Boston Massacre site was pretty profound. It's from that balcony that the Declaration of Independence was first read in the north. There is a reproduction printing press near the Old North Church near Revere park. It's run by Edes and Gill, and they were the first ones to print the declaration in New England. They received a copy around July 17th I think and then set their type and started running copies. We watched them use a similar plate and press and make another on linen paper. They talked a LOT about printing in that period and how it changed from the Gutenberg days. I learned the "uppercase" letters were the ones less often used so they were kept in the upper case of the type setters tool chest. The "lower case" ones were more convenient on the chest. If you like history, go to this printing press just SW of the church.

We then spent a few days in NYC. I don't really like NYC and this was reinforced. Hard to get around, noisy, expensive. Kids enjoyed the statue via the Staten Island Ferry though, and we hit Times Square at night which was neat.

On the way to DC from NYC we stopped in Toms River NJ where I spent five years in elementary school. I showed the kids and wife my old house and then we went to Seaside Heights to have some fun on the boardwalk. Great memories.

Last night we got to DC and walked around the white house, washington monument, WWII memorial, Lincoln memorial. While walking away from Lincoln there was a very bright shooting star by the horizon the direction we were heading. VERY cool. Today was sleeping in, then National Archives to see constitution, declaration, and bill of rights. Then to smithsonian for a rushed visit before heading to a late lunch. Now we're avoiding the heat
    and recharging for the other presidential memorials this evening when it's not so hot. Tomorrow is a Capitol tour and then back home.

Fun times! Next history trip will add Philadelphia and some of the more suburb DC stuff, and hopefully a whitehouse tour. I neded to have set that up a LONG time in advance.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That sounds great. I got to go to DC as part of a youth group back when Jimmy Carter was president. It was way too short. I remember practically running through the Smithsonian to see as much as we could with the limited time we had.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've been sampling (pillaging?) the hoosierdoc estate amenities all week. I've gorged myself on so much Tilapia I can barely stand the sight. Never mind the skinny dipping, nekkid rock climbing, zip line, and spear throwing. It was really courteous of him to plant this privacy grass, I haven't had to run from the deputies but once.

Once he gets back, I'm going to see if he will remove this taser probe from my buttcheek on the house. Thank heaven the other probe missed.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Man, I wish I could remote delete my security cam footage :):

were you the one who splashed 18" of water out of my pool? Or was that the massive rain storm that filled my cover that I forgot to leave the pump on? Pushed the water out of the pool and floated the liner in a few places. :xmad:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Man, I wish I could remote delete my security cam footage :):

were you the one who splashed 18" of water out of my pool? Or was that the massive rain storm that filled my cover that I forgot to leave the pump on? Pushed the water out of the pool and floated the liner in a few places. :xmad:

No, that was tactically fat doing cannonballs. Just for funnies and since we all know he really loves close (huh huh) encounters with the cops, while the deputies were chasing me I kept yelling "you'll never catch me, I'm Kirk Freeman!"

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    No, that was tactically fat doing cannonballs. Just for funnies and since we all know he really loves close (huh huh) encounters with the cops, while the deputies were chasing me I kept yelling "you'll never catch me, I'm Kirk Freeman!"

I thought I had the place to myself. :(

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I lived in Connecticut for awhile and while the gun laws suck and I really hate big cities, I loved Boston. It was 2 hours away and we went all the time. The history of the town and the things you can see from our nations past is pretty amazing, and it doesn't feel like a big city. Like you I wasn't a fan a NYC, went twice I really felt uncomfortable both times.

Sounds like an awesome trip, if you have time in DC try to get to Arlington if you've never been, it will be worth it!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We decided to skip Arlington since the 6 and 8yo were with us. We have a hard time sitting in a restaurant, I can't imaging trying to control them at a place so reverent.

Really disappointed the Washington Monument is closed. The elevator is out since October 16 and it's not expected to open until spring of 2019. Really wanted to go up inside that. You can probably still go in the base but we didn't try.

Also sad you can't approach the White House fence anymore. It's blocked off an extra block in every direction compared to when I was there 10 years ago.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    We did the whole freedom trail but the Constitution was in drydock for repair so we didn't get to tour it.
    You missed it by a week or so... she is scheduled to return to the pier Sunday (not sure about when she'll open back up)...

Little known fact, the white oak timbers come from NSA Crane here in Indiana; there are 64,000 acres (mostly timber) where they select premium white oak trees decades before they're harvested and they monitor and care for them to cultivate them into trees capable of supplying the massive timbers used for her repair. They had to have a custom sawmill made just to cut them because IIRC some of them are over 100 feet long, and no commercial mills in the US can cut that long anymore.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's cool info, thanks!

saw in the museum some history of where they get the timbers. Those poor guys that cut down the live oak in GA. I cannot imagine hand sawing through that stuff in the heat of summer with bugs and disease

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    We decided to skip Arlington since the 6 and 8yo were with us. We have a hard time sitting in a restaurant, I can't imaging trying to control them at a place so reverent.

Really disappointed the Washington Monument is closed. The elevator is out since October 16 and it's not expected to open until spring of 2019. Really wanted to go up inside that. You can probably still go in the base but we didn't try.

Also sad you can't approach the White House fence anymore. It's blocked off an extra block in every direction compared to when I was there 10 years ago.

Yeah, that sucks about the WH. It's changed a lot in the past 20 years.

Top Bottom