• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Planning on building a 44 x 16 deck. Treated wood for the joists/beams, etc. A couple of neighbors have new decks with composite. One is Aztech (sic?) and the other is the entry level Trex stuff. Both decks are less than 6 months old and look great.

So, wifey sees them and wants "that look". I've been researching the Trex Transcend and the Armorguard Veranda product. Armorguard is supposedly a Fiburon company. Both are "capped" composites- the latest and greatest.

My question is does anyone have any long term experience with this stuff?

The reviews are all over the place. My deck will be in partial shade most of the time and will be a second story deck. The cost factor is around 2x what the best treated stuff goes for. I don't mind spending the extra $$ if the product will hold up. I'll be doing the work myself so for now I'm waiting for the Homeowners Association to approve my plan. Of course the online product ads are beautiful so I've been sucked into the mix thinking "my deck" will look just as good.

I'll buy either from Lowes or Home Depot. (I get the 10% veteran discount)

Any suggestions?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I helped a guy build a trex deck last fall, it was the first one I've ever done, and, I can tell you, it was a huge pain in the butt! The customer didn't want any visible fasteners, so we used the trex clips, which were a gigantic nuisance, they are tiny, expensive, and the screws are easily stripped out. The gaps between boards were wider than any gaps on my treated lumber deck that I built six years ago. The deck looked great when completed, but the amount of work it took to get it to that point just seemed like way too much trouble to me. I've built a lot of treated lumber decks over the years, and I just don't see enough of an advantage in spending a lot more money to have a deck that will still fade, and is more difficult to build.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course, and as I said, the composite deck did look great upon completion, I just wouldn't/won't ever build one on my own house.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks LT- it does look more time consuming with the hidden clips, etc. Do you remember what Trex "line" it was you worked with? Part of me sez the whole composite thing is a more finished look- sleaker, cleaner, more upscale. (deck snobbery??) But, even adding just composite decking and everything else being treated stuff still adds 40-50% to the overall cost. I'm also trying to keep the wife happy - she gets what she wants-:cool:

I did have a quote from a builder up here in Westfield- almost chorked on my coffee when I looked at the $$$$ for a composite deck.

Again- just looking for feedback- Thanks!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I do not recall which one it was, But I see the builder that I did the job with a lot, I'll try to find out. Side note: I hated the trex system so much, that I told the builder "if you ever sell another trex deck, don't call me".:): And his reply was "hey, if I have to suffer through it, so do you".

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I built a big Transcend deck this spring for a customer.....and he and I really loved it. Transcend is not the entry level, it is the highest level.....entry level would be Select I think, which I have no experience with. I used exposed fasteners though, since customer wanted rustic look with no maintenance. If you can afford it I don't think you will be disappointed. I used Trex rails and all.....it came in around $40 per square foot total M&L, but was 2 story. If you go to Lowes and go to contractor sales....they will get you contractor pricing on Trex, which will save you about $25 per 16' board over regular price. I am sold on Trex......if I had the money I would have it on my deck. Stuff lasts forever.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've been in the "get quotes" phase for a new deck for a year now... And I still am. Ahem. Now that we finally have the $ I can start soliciting again. Anyhow:

I had one deck contractor (all he does) tell me that he no longer uses any of the composite stuff because, over time, the organic components of said decking material will start to break down where they're exposed to the environment. Like cut edges and/or screw holes.

All he uses now is 100% polymer decking.

NOW - I've never heard of anyone's composite decking material failing due to the above... But, on a certain level, (mainly due to my ignorance), it can make a bit of sense. I don't know enough about the manufacturing process of the composite to know if the slurry used in making it is just as impervious to the elements on the inside as it is on the outside.

All I need is a new "surface" on my deck - the vertical supports are nice and sound. Times like these when I wish I had a modicum of knowledge and skill of how to do things. :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All I need is a new "surface" on my deck - the vertical supports are nice and sound. Times like these when I wish I had a modicum of knowledge and skill of how to do things. :(

Its easier than you think. I replaced my decking and it was cake.

Of course my design was pretty lame. Contractor sized it based on the board length. So it was easy. I just had to buy a bunch of 16' treated boards, unscrew the old boards a couple at a time, drop the new boards in their place (used a 1/2" spacer to cheat) and screw them down. In a couple hours I had a new deck surface.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Its easier than you think. I replaced my decking and it was cake.

Of course my design was pretty lame. Contractor sized it based on the board length. So it was easy. I just had to buy a bunch of 16' treated boards, unscrew the old boards a couple at a time, drop the new boards in their place (used a 1/2" spacer to cheat) and screw them down. In a couple hours I had a new deck surface.

You severely overestimate my skill.

Actually: I think I could do MOST of it. But building the benches along the top outside edges + the "skirting" + the steps... That's the part that's beyond me. Swapping in boards? Yeah, even I could do that.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I built a big Transcend deck this spring for a customer.....and he and I really loved it. Transcend is not the entry level, it is the highest level.....entry level would be Select I think, which I have no experience with. I used exposed fasteners though, since customer wanted rustic look with no maintenance. If you can afford it I don't think you will be disappointed. I used Trex rails and all.....it came in around $40 per square foot total M&L, but was 2 story. If you go to Lowes and go to contractor sales....they will get you contractor pricing on Trex, which will save you about $25 per 16' board over regular price. I am sold on Trex......if I had the money I would have it on my deck. Stuff lasts forever.

Cost and affordability are relevant. I have to seal and stain my deck every few years. It's a lot of work IF I'm going to go barefooted when I feel like it. For the time, materials, and cost I'm thinking I can't afford not to put in the good stuff. My time is valuable. I don't do anything with it but it's MY time I don't want to use fixing something I should have done right to start with.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    While not composite, I plan to look at thermally modified wood when I can afford to do a deck. I picked up a sample from a dealer several years ago and was impressed. This company is based out of St. Joe, IN EcoVantage Location

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    OP here:

I saw my old post about using the Trex product and thought I'd add a "5 year" update.

I used the Transcend line for the decking and treated lumber for the supports and railing. The Trex stuff has held up amazingly well. I would use again if needed. Some of the treated rails (2x4, 2x6) have been replaced in the past year or so due to twisting and warping but all the Trex stuff has stayed straight and true.
    Easy to clean. Part of the deck is in deep shade and prone to mildew, but cleans easily with a powerwasher. The little Trex clips were fussy to use compared to just running deck screws in but they have held up fine over time. The decking stays down and there are no "splinters" to contend with if you want to walk barefoot. I will say though that the Trex stuff does get hot in the sun - much more than treated wood - but I can live with that....

I'll try to get some pics up.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    11 years in on our composite deck. It’s faded a little after 11 years but it’s held up really well. Make sure you run your support joists at 12-16” instead of the normal 16-24. I overbuilt the entire deck with the intention of holding a dozen people that are larger in size.

We did low end Lowes composite and it is fine.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    17 years on our Trex deck. Was my second, had built a huge one at my last home after screwing around with a cedar deck that was high maintenance and look crappy after 10 years.

Used ‘composite’ deck screws and did not mess with the clips. Power wash is all I have ever done and still looks really good.

Have not gotten around to washing yet this year and the dog tracked a bit of mud on it.

63E53B2E-80E4-4EB4-B406-E0A324FB5CEC.jpeg 74D6D6B5-1C6E-4607-967A-8599BCED3711.jpeg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I helped a guy build a trex deck last fall, it was the first one I've ever done, and, I can tell you, it was a huge pain in the butt! The customer didn't want any visible fasteners, so we used the trex clips, which were a gigantic nuisance, they are tiny, expensive, and the screws are easily stripped out. The gaps between boards were wider than any gaps on my treated lumber deck that I built six years ago. The deck looked great when completed, but the amount of work it took to get it to that point just seemed like way too much trouble to me. I've built a lot of treated lumber decks over the years, and I just don't see enough of an advantage in spending a lot more money to have a deck that will still fade, and is more difficult to build.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course, and as I said, the composite deck did look great upon completion, I just wouldn't/won't ever build one on my own house.
    Can you not screw it down with decking screws?
    we need to do some repairs to our deck and it seems the composite is less expensive than wood right now.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    11 years in on our composite deck. It’s faded a little after 11 years but it’s held up really well. Make sure you run your support joists at 12-16” instead of the normal 16-24. I overbuilt the entire deck with the intention of holding a dozen people that are larger in size.

We did low end Lowes composite and it is fine.
    Ditto the spacing. I did 12” at the door and stairs. Rock solid. Also, the end gaps is important. The Trex I used does expand. Mine are about 3 years and look like day 1.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    we need to do some repairs to our deck and it seems the composite is less expensive than wood right now.
    I’ve seen composite installed with screws through the face, but, as others have said, the stuff does expand and contract, so screwing the planks down wouldn’t allow that. I would check with the manufacturer before doing it.

And you’re correct, the composite is probably cheaper now. I’ve been planning to replace about 30 feet of privacy fence, and the vinyl panels are cheaper than if I build it out of treated lumber! Crazy times.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It depends on the material itself as to whether or not screwing through the material itself will be beneficial long-term or not.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    The trex has special screws with smaller heads and a square drive that you screw down just flush with the top. Assume most use the same screws as they are readily available at most hardware stores.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I built a 16x24 deck and a 10x30 front porch with Azek composite decking 3 years ago. I used their hidden fasteners which was a PITA and spendy as hell. I had over $800 just in Azek fasteners. But the finished product was worth it. I picked Azek because it contains zero wood fiber and has a 50 year warranty. Only thing I'd have done different would be to go 12" centers on the joists instead of 16". The guy at the lumber yard where I bought everything said 16" was fine. Azek says in their instructions that 16" is fine. But you do feel the deck boards give a little when you step in between the joists.

S3frXfFl.jpg

Top Bottom