• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's a summary: Windshield Scams: Parking Lot Cons on the Rise

Just bringing this up because my wife fell for it yesterday at the Kroger gas station on Thompson/Emerson. They gave her a story about insurance, took her policy number, and handed her a pre-dialed phone to speak to someone and give her credit card info. She refused, hung up the phone, and the "repair" was already done... exactly as described in that esurance blog page. The one at Kroger is called "Safe Ride" or "Smart ride", something like that. Actually saw a couple different names.

I later drove over and had a conversation with the lady running the tent. She was apprehensive to answer my questions, but once I said the word "scam", she changed her tune and retrieved the paperwork they had... and gave it to me.

Notified the Kroger management, they escalated it to corporate. Manager says they just contract with them to set up the tent, and aren't affiliated with Kroger. Also sent a complaint to the Consumer Protection AG.

I've heard of similar frauds set up at Sam's Club gas stations, too... I guess any gas station or carwash could be a good spot for these guys.

So, yeah, just an FYI INGO. Don't fall for it.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    So are you saying that I can go along with their scam long enough to get my windshield repaired for free then just leave and give them a fake policy number? Lol

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    When someone approaches me in a parking lot they usually get the stiff arm, a stare and the "I'm not interested" all at once, before they even get out what lie they are about to verbalize.

I appreciate the info though as I'll send it over to both kids and my wife, who aren't as situationally aware, or as my wife calls it ornery as I am.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When someone approaches me in a parking lot they usually get the stiff arm, a stare and the "I'm not interested" all at once, before they even get out what lie they are about to verbalize.

I appreciate the info though as I'll send it over to both kids and my wife, who aren't as situationally aware, or as my wife calls it ornery as I am.

Bingo.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Kroger doesn't screen well it seems. They once had a "Veteran's help" group that had been knocking on doors a few days before; when I challenged their pitch, he called "his supervisor", who never came to the house, and the pitchman split as well. No website, no online presence = not a chance.

Top Bottom