• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    A LOW BUDGET WWII movie entitled "Operation Dunkirk" was just released straight to video. Unlike the HIGH BUDGET HOLLYWOOD movie entitled "Dunkirk" (which was touted as, but does not show, the history of Dunkirk), this one simply portrays a ficticious military operation that took place at/during Dunkirk. If the director and producer had 1/10th of the budget of "Dunkirk", it would have been a great movie. It is available at Wal-Mart in their $9.96 section. What is unique about this film is that it was filmed entirely in Indiana. You might recognize someone in it as one of the extras. I really expected it to be poorly acted and cheesy. When it was filmed, not a single shot was fired and the shooting was digitally added later - and the effect looked way better than I expected. If they had a larger budget for uniforms and weapons (the major complaints about the movie), it would have been a decent flick. This is no Hollywood blockbuster, but, still, for what it is, I was pleasently surprised, and it was fun seeing people I knew in it. I expected too much from "Dunkirk" and was disappointed, and on the other hand, I expected very little from this movie and was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This is an accurate portrayal of the events at Dunkirk?

[video=youtube;qTkhZNLWt6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/qTkhZNLWt6s[/video]

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This is an accurate portrayal of the events at Dunkirk?

[video=youtube;qTkhZNLWt6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/qTkhZNLWt6s[/video]

No, I did NOT say that it was an accurate depiction of what happened at Dunkirk. I said it attempts to portray a fictiicious mission that took place DURING the Dunkirk evacuation. That is why it is called "Operation Dunkirk" and NOT "Dunkirk". Like I said, it is a LOW BUDGET film, but it is interesting in the fact that it was filmed entirely in Indiana.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Sten MK 2 in the hands of the guy on the right is too early for Dunkirk by a year or more.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The Sten MK 2 in the hands of the guy on the right is too early for Dunkirk by a year or more.

Yeah, like I said, the weapons AND uniforms are not correct, BUT, like I also said, it IS a LOW BUDGET MOVIE. I wish they would have had more money available for uniforms and weapons. Over $150 MILLION was spent on filming the movie "Dunkirk", and this one was probably filmed on a budget of $50,000 or less, and it had a PLOT. For the funds they had, I think they did pretty good, in the tradition of the old "spaghetti westerns". I think it is just neat that it was filmed in Indiana.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    No, I did NOT say that it was an accurate depiction of what happened at Dunkirk. I said it attempts to portray a fictiicious mission that took place DURING the Dunkirk evacuation. That is why it is called "Operation Dunkirk" and NOT "Dunkirk". Like I said, it is a LOW BUDGET film, but it is interesting in the fact that it was filmed entirely in Indiana.

Ok, I didn't catch the part about you saying it portrays a fictitious mission the first time I read it. I guess I should have quoted it. :laugh:

Glad it isn't neutered of history or anything.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The wife says I'm the only person who picks on those details in movies.:)

In Saving Private Ryan you can see a few French cars from the early 1950's when it's supposed to take place in 1944.
    That shocked me when I saw the movie, that and the fact that the landscapes and beaches don't look like Normandy.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Ok, I didn't catch the part about you saying it portrays a fictitious mission the first time I read it. I guess I should have quoted it. :laugh:

Glad it isn't neutered of history or anything.

Yeah, if it was claiming to be a "HISTORY of the evacuation of Dunkirk" like the fiasco at the theatres, it TOO would be neutered of history.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I always like the scene in Deadwood where Bullock and Wild Bill shoot a guy off a horse who has one type of revolver in his hand, and in the next scene where the dead guy is lying on the ground it's a different one. Mix up between an 1875 Remington and an open top Colt conversion.

Easy for even the rich producers to make mistakes, so in a story like HK is talking about you focus more on the acting.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    In Saving Private Ryan you can see a few French cars from the early 1950's when it's supposed to take place in 1944.
    That shocked me when I saw the movie, that and the fact that the landscapes and beaches don't look like Normandy.

In the Charleton Heston movie "Omega Man" (about the last human on earth) you can see a car drive across an ally in a New York street scene. In "Raiders of the Lost Ark", it supposedly took p,ace in Cairo in the 1930's, yet the Germans are all armed with MP40's (that did not come into use until 1940). It is very rare to find a movie that doesn't have at least one, if not several, inaccuracies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    '

Oh GEE THANKS!! Now you've completely RUINED it for me!!!:xmad::laugh:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The wife says I'm the only person who picks on those details in movies.:)

A "naked" F-4 dropping napalm? A Maverick Missile used in air-to-air combat? An A-10's gun that doesn't sound like an angry fog horn? I will yell at the TV.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like I have a lot of company in this area, I'll remind myself to bring that up to the wife next time she tells me about it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

There's a certain creativity to using what looks like an old Homan Lumber....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    A LOW BUDGET WWII movie entitled "Operation Dunkirk" was just released straight to video. Unlike the HIGH BUDGET HOLLYWOOD movie entitled "Dunkirk" (which was touted as, but does not show, the history of Dunkirk), this one simply portrays a ficticious military operation that took place at/during Dunkirk. If the director and producer had 1/10th of the budget of "Dunkirk", it would have been a great movie. It is available at Wal-Mart in their $9.96 section. What is unique about this film is that it was filmed entirely in Indiana. You might recognize someone in it as one of the extras. I really expected it to be poorly acted and cheesy. When it was filmed, not a single shot was fired and the shooting was digitally added later - and the effect looked way better than I expected. If they had a larger budget for uniforms and weapons (the major complaints about the movie), it would have been a decent flick. This is no Hollywood blockbuster, but, still, for what it is, I was pleasantly surprised, and it was fun seeing people I knew in it. I expected too much from "Dunkirk" and was disappointed, and on the other hand, I expected very little from this movie and was pleasantly surprised.

According to the radio, Dunkirk, was the highest grossing movie, this past weekend .....

Top Bottom