International Space Station passes overhead...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Did any of you happen to watch the ISS pass over a few minutes ago? Did you see an orange ball that faded out? I have never seen anything like that. I was sitting on porch watching for ISS to come from W-SW headed to NE when the wife says that must be it. I look East to see a huge orange ball that must have been moving Mach 2-3-4....it was fast. It was headed towards the oncoming ISS then it started flaming out and disappeared.

I still can't believe my eyes. Hoping someone else seen it and maybe got footage. Kind of strange........

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I missed it. But its a cool sight to see. And amazing to realize just how freakin fast the damn thing is moving.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    how can you tell the speed without knowing the altitude? :dunno: :):

That's eazy, you take the the angle of declination divided by the coefficient of the rate multiplied by the inverse of the .....oh, never mind I was never any good at that anyways. In the end, I came up with 17,135 mph at 226 miles of altitude, was I in the ballpark?

While entertaining myself with the Amazon Firestick yesterday, I stumbled across a live Youtube feed from ISS and then found myself simultaneously tracking the path from one of the many internet sites on my notebook. It was almost like handing a baby the pacifier.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I saw one of the shuttles re-enter earths atmosphere one morning while on the way to work. There was literally a trail of fire in the sky from the west horizon over halfway across the sky towards the east horizon. You could see the point of origin moving towards the east very obviously. The neat thing about it is that it wasn't like a meteorite trail that is relatively short, this stretched clear across the sky and remained visible for several minutes. I didn't have any idea what it was and surprisingly found only one other person that had seen it, we learned a couple of days later that the shuttle had returned from a mission that morning so put two and two together and decided it HAD to be aliens!:rockwoot:

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    One of the best opportunities to see the ISS will be tonight at 9:47. It will be moving from southwest to northeast and fly almost directly overhead. It should be visible for about 6 minutes. This will be the best chance to see it for a couple of weeks.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We went out to see it last night but must have missed it somehow. We'll try again tonight. We always wave when it goes overhead. I might take our 2yr old out so he can blow it a kiss like he does to airplanes.

Jason

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    9148130.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    how can you tell the speed without knowing the altitude? :dunno:

:):

Easy. Low earth orbit is about 250 miles for that beast. Knowing where it sits gives me a good starting point. Plus understanding that if its not going something like 15,000mph at that altitude it will fall out of the sky.

C'mon doc, its not rocket science.

Oh, wait. Yes it is.

:):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I saw one of the shuttles re-enter earths atmosphere one morning while on the way to work. There was literally a trail of fire in the sky from the west horizon over halfway across the sky towards the east horizon. You could see the point of origin moving towards the east very obviously. The neat thing about it is that it wasn't like a meteorite trail that is relatively short, this stretched clear across the sky and remained visible for several minutes. I didn't have any idea what it was and surprisingly found only one other person that had seen it, we learned a couple of days later that the shuttle had returned from a mission that morning so put two and two together and decided it HAD to be aliens!:rockwoot:

I saw the same thing in the mid 90's while stationed at Ft Hood, TX. Scared the hell out of me, I had no idea what I was looking at and the first thought that came to mind was "ICBM".

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This is just like what I saw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ldrPeXFDv8 Kind of odd how many reports there are of seeing these things at same time as ISS.......but all over the world and all different years. I have always been skeptical of UFO's and such, but this was something strange. I dont think it was a meteor. I based speed on time it took to cross sky compared to ISS and planes I was watching in sky as well.

Oh well.....when you get abducted by little green guys, don't say I didnt try to warn ya.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Go to the NASA website and you can sign up for "Spot the Station". You will get an email every time it is visible from your zip code. Looks like a bright star but moving very fast. 6 minutes is the longest it has ever been visible because that's how long it takes to go from horizon to horizon.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just watched it fly over here along the Ohio river. Great view from tree line to the southwest, to the trees just northeast of the house. Beautiful night! Dogs were a little confused, we have to leave them inside so as not to set off the motion lights on the garage.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom