• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't speak for the "mini-mills".
    But, I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.
    At least at US Steel, the steel is made to order.
    The customer will place an order. In my case, automotive frame, soup can, and some more generic stuff.
    It is ordered and tailor made. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of types of steel. Then, ordered by sheet or slab. And size.

Steel orders that miss the desired chemistry is either sold at a discount, or recycled back into the furnace, depending on the amount of error, and if they can get a customer to buy it.

Our steel is either sold direct to someone like Ford, Chevy, or soup can maker... or it's sold to a "mini-mill". The mini-mill will then take a slab or coil, reheat it, and form it to something else.

You might be able to buy from a mini-mill, but I doubt it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Where I work. I know a few of the people in this one.

[video=youtube;vggeM7wcK24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vggeM7wcK24[/video]

Various plants contributed to this one
    [video=youtube;kh08p85n678]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh08p85n678[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I work in a casting plant, and it's hot. I couldn't imagine a steel mill.

Probably about the same. 115 or so on the Cast foor. 179 or so on top of a crane. 72 where I'll hopefully be, stuck against an A/C unit in my shop. At least on Monday the temp and humidity was down.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Typically to buy direct from a mill you are talking full heat quantities.....which is measured in truckloads. Figure 20 tons on the low end.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Maybe Acteon can sneak some out in his lunch box...

My Dad worked in the Mills for most of his life, I've heard a few stories. One guy got busted stealing bricks, he was building a garage at his house. He almost got away with it, the garage was about 90% done. Another guy was stealing copper coil and wire. He wrapped it around his body and legs and put on coveralls. He got busted when he slipped on some ice walking out the gate and had on so much he couldn't get back up.:D

Or his prison wallet...

Never heard of anyone doing that.

Where I work. I know a few of the people in this one.

I've been meaning to ask you, do you know any of the guys that spray the tundishs? If so you might know my brother or possibly nephew.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My Dad worked in the Mills for most of his life, I've heard a few stories. One guy got busted stealing bricks, he was building a garage at his house. He almost got away with it, the garage was about 90% done. Another guy was stealing copper coil and wire. He wrapped it around his body and legs and put on coveralls. He got busted when he slipped on some ice walking out the gate and had on so much he couldn't get back up.:D

Never heard of anyone doing that.

I've been meaning to ask you, do you know any of the guys that spray the tundishs? If so you might know my brother or possibly nephew.

I know some at 1 caster tundish masons.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Typically to buy direct from a mill you are talking full heat quantities.....which is measured in truckloads. Figure 20 tons on the low end.

That won't work. The local metal suppliers are getting their metal a few sheets at a time and marking them up before I buy them. I'd like to cut them out.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton

I work in the Melt Shop at a mini mill. One heat is 150 metric tons. Assuming he is wanting carbon, is there a shop that actually runs 20 ton heats?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I work in the Melt Shop at a mini mill. One heat is 150 metric tons. Assuming he is wanting carbon, is there a shop that actually runs 20 ton heats?

Typically not, but I have come across some depending on the material (non-carbon)....that's why I said 20 on the low end. It has been a few years since dealing in those quantities, so my memory may be a bit off....

Top Bottom