• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sadness here. We used to spend a bit of time when it was just north of me. I knew a few of the guys that wintered there restoring the equipment.
    Helped set a few things in place.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gonna try to drag the fam up. I visited when it was in Indy when I was a teen. I stopped by when they were closed but they were working on one tank and they let me hang and observe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gonna try to drag the fam up. I visited when it was in Indy when I was a teen. I stopped by when they were closed but they were working on one tank and they let me hang and observe.

Those people were always the best. I was in the shop with 2 of my buddys that were setting an engine in a tank. A couple of people found there way in there and we let them hang for a long time. My buddy's took them for a tank ride in one that was ready for a shake down.
    Several Indy car mechanics put in some time up there between teams and off season. I knew a lot of them. Keys to the magic Kingdom.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Never heard of it

You're missing out. Well, if you don't go by the 31st, you'll have missed out. It's a really cool place. They have at least 1 1-of-a-kind piece in the Bell X14. I HOPE that thing ends up in Dayton, Oh.

When the Ropkeys moved out towards Darlington, they began patronizing my folks' business. Over time, my folks and the Ropkeys (And museum head honcho Skip) became decent acquaintances. Mrs. R. hasn't been around much, though, since Mr. R. passed away. That kind of made/makes my mom sad as she enjoyed the interaction they had.

If any of y'all have $1.89 million dollars and wants to buy the property: 5649 E 150 N, Crawfordsville, IN 47933 - realtor.com® Act fast, though. Scuttlebutt is that there's a family interested.

Oh - and if y'all can make it up there before it closes... Please go have lunch at the Darlington Mini-Mart. And buy a fountain soda. And a Little Debbie. And gasoline. :D

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I wonder if any of the collection is ending up here

https://indymilitary.com/

to anyone who hasn't visited this one yet, you have to go!, while its sad to see a museum close, we still have a very nice one in Vincennes!

my dad and I have gone a few times, and we see something new everytime! two things stick in my mind (about the Vincennes museum)

1 they have a liberator gun cutaway from ww2 (they are rare, let alone a cutaway)

2 general pattons grandson is on the board of directors, and they have one of the generals dress uniforms, and a colt 32 auto, when I asked the docents if that was really one of the generals pistols, he pointed to a picture above the display, it was the general with a few kids on his lap and playing by his feet, the docent pointed to the child on the floor and said "that's one of the generals grandsons, he's on our board of directors and he donated that pistol to us", what better provenance than that!

again sad to see a museum close, I just wish I could have seen that one

Top Bottom