• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I know this is a crazy place to be asking about this stuff, but I am sure about everyone of us know someone who is fighting this battle. Does anyone here have personal experience with someone you really care about being on that crap and recovering to be well? How did they do it? It has been explained to me that if someone told an addict that next high will be the last and it's gonna kill ya, they would literally die to get that high.

I can't even start to comprehend this logic, but I know someone that really needs help......before something tragic happens.

You guys are about my last straw.....I have spoken with LEO, treatment facilities, family of other addicts. It is embarrassing for me to even have to ask this question. I never thought in 1,000 years I would have to deal with a close relative doing this stuff. I know many of you would/will say to wash my hands of it, but I will go thru the gates of hell to try to help this person, giving up is NOT an option.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. If you are not comfortable speaking about this in public forum, just pm me.

I thank you for your thoughts.....and maybe even a few prayers if you are the type.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heroin addiction changes the way a perspn's brain works.

I had a close friend several years ago hopelessly addicted to heroin. She got clean after loosing a wanted pregnancy. She got help from her employer (state gov) and her parents. It requires her to leave the state for initial treatment and check into a supervised "sober living" house. There she met and fell in love with another recovering addict. They started a family and never looked back.

It was really hard for them, but they formed their own support structure and were able to stay away from their old "drug friends" and "drug lifestyle".

Even so, she isn't the same person as she was before drugs...her "spark" is all but gone.

Also, many doctors give her a hard time when she seeks care, they assume she is still a "drug-seeking addict". Worse, her body doesn't respond to opioids like a normal person, and pain management is a real struggle for her.

The addict needs help, and it probably needs to happen far away from their "comfort zone".

Im hoping for the best for you.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have no experience directly with this but from what I understand of most severe drug addictions, there is very little that can be done to convince them they need help. They have to come to that realization on their own, and until they do, you're fighting a battle that is nearly impossible to win.

Just as PaulF related about the woman in his story. Nobody else convinced her she needed help, it was the wake-up call of the real world (losing a wanted pregnancy) that woke her up. The odds are against you if you think YOU can be that wake-up call.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Prayers outbound.

No direct experience with heroin, but close enough to other addictions. Only advice I can give is to have your own support system with others who love this person; be there for each other when it is hard. Be available to the addict for help in concrete ways, but not money. Need a bed? Sleep here. Need food? Eat here. Need cab fare? I'll drive you. Need a $5 for cigs? I'll get them (or not).

Be prepared to be disappointed and commit to pushing through it. Be prepared to walk away or be pushed out, but hope that it doesn't come to that.

Ultimately, they have to want to get better on their own. It can't be forced on them externally. If it doesn't come from inside that person, then it won't work. Be ready to help with that, too.

Sorry and good luck.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I agree with Paul, my one experience with this was a friend that went through it in college and then gave it up. His personality was never the same though, mutual friends described it as gray or flat compared to his former self. That's back may years though before the sort of super heroin on the streets today. Best of luck, but you can only expect a good outcome if the person makes the decision to break from that lifestyle.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My nephew is in the process of slow-motion heroin suicide. Been on life support 3 times in the last year or so. Nothing is keeping him away for long. My brother is the captain of his fire department's EMTs and has repeatedly Narcan-ed the same people, until that one time when it's too late. His experience says that this pretty much never ends well. Sorry.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First get some narcan just in case. The new non natural opioids are true killers.

Do not enable them to continue use. As described above. Sometimes an intervention can help out but as stated they need to hit a bottom before that can normally happen.

Be careful of allowing access to anything of value. They will do whatever from whoever for the next fix.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Medically supervised detox is probably the first step. Having a solid support system is also important. NA (Narcotics Anonymous) is a good resource for support. Nobody understands an addict better than another addict, which is why NA (and AA) are probably the most successful programs out there. As was also mentioned, the addict (btw, you can substitute "alcoholic" for "addict" in all this), has to undergo a psychic change. They need to find a power higher than themselves, whether they choose to call that power God or just their AA/NA group, they need to get out of themselves. Addicts are wired differently than normal people. It's not just a matter of will power like so many think. Their brains literally don't work the same way as a non-addict and they never will. There is no "cure". They will always be addicts or alcoholics. The best they can hope for is a daily reprieve (ie. "One Day at a Time"). I have experience with both addicts and alcoholics in people that are close to me. We just lost DoggyMama's daughter to alcohol and drug addiction. Spiritual fitness is helpful if they can get to that point (note, I'm not talking about religion, although that is certainly one source for a higher power).

jrockne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Addiction is one of the hardest things anyone ever has to deal with. This change is very, very difficult. I struggle personally and many in my family do as well.

DoggyDaddy mentioned some very good things and I couldn't agree with him more. NA is a tremendous resource, as long as you find the right location (they vary, trust me).

And in all seriousness, I would also consider a trip to the jungle to experience ayahuasca. There are a lot of people that have benefited tremendously from the experience, but I have not experienced it myself. There is a growing amount of information available about the topic and it is worth a look in my eyes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have dealt with addiction in the family and with friends but not Heroin. It is a whole different level of need as I understand it.
    I wish in my heart there was something I could offer but the advice already given is about what your options are.
    Remember...it is up to the addict to determine when and if they will stop. They become master manipulators in the process of using any and all in their quest to stay high. Do not enable.

Strength and patience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just now got off the phone with a good friend that is struggling with this as he just learned his daughter and her idiot boyfriend are deep into the dark side with this.

I really could not help him. There is nothing we as friends can really do except lend an ear and the advice given in this thread.

I have learned that until such time as the person sees fit to stop.....this insanity will just keep going.

This is touching so many lives. Victimless crime my ass.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    CM, That sounds real familiar, too familiar.

I want to thank everyone for the PM's and posts here offering advice, encouragement and words of wisdom. I never wanted to know anything about this crap, but I have found it don't discriminate.... it is an equal opportunity destroyer. I have been thru so many emotions, sleepless nights and scares in the last week......I don't know how people deal with this for years, it will/would put me in the grave. The family sure worries about the addict, but the addict could care less for the family. Very tough to understand and accept. Things are going better but we are far from out of the woods. This crap don't just let you go, I am sure there will be holes along the way..... please keep us in your prayers if you are a praying type. Only by the grace of God can they be saved.

Thank you all again.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The addict needs to decide to get clean but the social support system is so important too. Pride has no role anymore. Tears, hugs, boundaries, and prayers. Keep the faith brother, they are worth it and someday you will hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The addict needs to decide to get clean but the social support system is so important too. Pride has no role anymore. Tears, hugs, boundaries, and prayers. Keep the faith brother, they are worth it and someday you will hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Thanks Doc, That put tears in my eyes my friend. I will go thru hell and back before I give up. God bless you brother.....don't know how you deal with this stuff day in and day out.

Top Bottom