• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My garage faces due north. In the morning, the sun in the east shines brightly on one of the sensors that stops the garage door when their is an obstruction. In the late afternoon, the sun in the western sky does the same thing to the sensor on the other side. When this happens, I can get my garage door to lower.

If I'm inside the garage, I can hold the button until it closes and it's okay. When I'm outside, though, I have to get out of the car and shade the sensor to get the door to lower.

Everything works fine when the sun isn't shining directly one of them, so they the two are aligned.

Any ideas for a solution?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Just had this problem for the first time in 15 years. New laser eye thingAmabobs from lowes solved problem.

I tried making shades from cardboard......no luck.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just psychically will it to open when that happens.....(Neighbors Dan Akroyd Reference ca 1981)

"Did my wife's towel just fall or did you psychically will it to fall?"

"Will it to fall?"

"Yes...Did you will it to fall so you could see her breasts?"

"No...I did not will it to fall.."

[video=youtube;xF0mPku7b84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0mPku7b84[/video]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My garage door has no sensors. I am still alive.

:)

images

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1) make a little sun shade to mount on the sensor.
    2) mount them up above the garage door, where, imo, they belong.

-rvb

That's what I was thinking. Do you mean mount shade above the door, or mount the sensors up there?

Just had this problem for the first time in 15 years. New laser eye thingAmabobs from lowes solved problem.

I tried making shades from cardboard......no luck.

Linky, perhaps? It's tough to get a good google result from "thingAmabobs."

If you're not dealing with little ones. . . . .or stupid people pull the sensors.

That makes good sense.

Park in the driveway like everybody else. Garages are for your stuff.

This is the first time in my lifetime when I had the option of parking in a garage and it's my own damn garage that I paid for with my own damn money and I paid for my luxurious 2014 Chevy Traverse Station Wagon/Minivan with my own damn money, so I want to park my damn station wagon in my own damn garage (for now)!

Disconnect them. If the garage door comes down on you, you'll win.

Still makes good sense.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is the first time in my lifetime when I had the option of parking in a garage and it's my own damn garage that I paid for with my own damn money and I paid for my luxurious 2014 Chevy Traverse Station Wagon/Minivan with my own damn money, so I want to park my damn station wagon in my own damn garage (for now)!

You're totally overlooking your manly responsibility to fill your garage with your [STRIKE]useless crap[/STRIKE], um, er, [STRIKE]power tools you never use[/STRIKE] important man-type stuff.
    Step up your game, Mister!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's what I was thinking. Do you mean mount shade above the door, or mount the sensors up there?

I mean mount the sensors above the door. Best is in the center, about 1" apart. They'll never not "see" each other. Problem bypassed. No more sun issues. No more leaves keeping the door from going down, etc...

Wife made me put ours in the "right" spot since our kids are little.... I'm always having to re-align them, and sometimes in the fall the leaves will get swirling and stop the door... and I get annoyed when the light keeps coming on/off when I'm working in the garage and keep walking between the sensors. Kids are a little older, I'm about to move the stupid things....

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're totally overlooking your manly responsibility to fill your garage with your [STRIKE]useless crap[/STRIKE], um, er, [STRIKE]power tools you never use[/STRIKE] important man-type stuff.
    Step up your game, Mister!

Maybe someone has more than one garage. Ever think of that? Hmm? Didja?

I mean mount the sensors above the door. Best is in the center, about 1" apart. They'll never not "see" each other. Problem bypassed. No more sun issues. No more leaves keeping the door from going down, etc...

Wife made me put ours in the "right" spot since our kids are little.... I'm always having to re-align them, and sometimes in the fall the leaves will get swirling and stop the door... and I get annoyed when the light keeps coming on/off when I'm working in the garage and keep walking between the sensors. Kids are a little older, I'm about to move the stupid things....

-rvb

Ah! That would have the same effect as removing them.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Thingamabobs I used :)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-Garage-Door-Sensor/999924698?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Millwork-_-GarageDoorOperator-_-999924698:Chamberlain&CAWELAID=&kpid=999924698&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=de242094-68f9-4bd3-a5bd-fbd1b144506b

Not sure why it didn't link.?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thingamabobs I used :)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-Garage-Door-Sensor/999924698?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Millwork-_-GarageDoorOperator-_-999924698:Chamberlain&CAWELAID=&kpid=999924698&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=de242094-68f9-4bd3-a5bd-fbd1b144506b

Not sure why it didn't link.?

Thank you, sir!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My garage is full of hand tools, power tools, woodworking equipment and items that my wife calls "useless crap". Plus I can park both vehicles inside my garage and still be able to do manly woodworking stuff inside.

I just wanted to share :)

Top Bottom