• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Returning from my morning martial arts training this AM, I was taking the garbage out here at Stately Freeman Manor when I noticed the squirrels have been cracking open walnuts on my front sidewalk and have left black stains on my sidewalk.

What is the best way to clean this? Simple Green and a tire scrub brush failed. Vinegar maybe? Bleach? Anyone masons or hardscapers?

Help make Stately Freeman Manor great again.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Muratic acid is the easiest way to remove ANY stain from concrete.
    Wear gloves, boots, and eye protection, and have a garden hose nearby to rinse things down.
    Do NOT leave without rinsing. Pets can burn their paws.

Or, you could hire someone...:whistle:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The sun will take care of the issue, unless you are impatient. If so, try scrubbing with a little bleach. Green stuff and bleach don't get along. Oxiclean should do well too. But any thing you use will make it "soak deeper" in to the concrete. Unless it has a sealer on it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener and the pressure washer take care of that here, but we can shoot and eat the squirrels.:)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Live trap.

Call me when you have one in it. My tree rat dog needs something to chase around. I will be happy to relocate the tree rat to south west Madison county.

If you catch the stain early enough a pressure washer should do wonders. If you leave it to long the tannins are nasty to deal with. We use walnut to darken old camo. Works great to take out the white out and after a couple days in a five gallon bucket they no longer glow under black light.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Muratic acid will take just about any stain off concrete. But take caution, leave it too long and it will take come concrete with it.

This is correct. I had a couple of gallons of used peanut oil spill onto a concrete patio, I tried just about every de-greaser I could get my hands on and got the oil up but the stain remained. Muratic acid did remove the stain for the most part, but it ate away enough cement that you could see the aggregate in it.

If you use it, I'd recommend doing a small area at a time, work quick, and have a water source ready to rinse.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is correct. I had a couple of gallons of used peanut oil spill onto a concrete patio, I tried just about every de-greaser I could get my hands on and got the oil up but the stain remained. Muratic acid did remove the stain for the most part, but it ate away enough cement that you could see the aggregate in it.

If you use it, I'd recommend doing a small area at a time, work quick, and have a water source ready to rinse.

And try to do it on a breezy day. That stuff gives off some nasty fumes when its working.

Back when I waterproofed my garage walls (the block is below ground) I had to etch the blocks. The fumes it gave off were insane. I literally had to spray a section of blocks, run out, wait a while, take a huge breath and hold it, run back in to rinse, then run back out to take a clean breath.

I was committed to borrowing a SCBA respirator from a buddy when I was going to epoxy the floor. I had to scrap that idea and due to the fume issue alone I'm not totally upset that I cant paint the floor. (its not worth fixing the cracks just to be able to paint it)

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    And try to do it on a breezy day. That stuff gives off some nasty fumes when its working.

Back when I waterproofed my garage walls (the block is below ground) I had to etch the blocks. The fumes it gave off were insane. I literally had to spray a section of blocks, run out, wait a while, take a huge breath and hold it, run back in to rinse, then run back out to take a clean breath.

I was committed to borrowing a SCBA respirator from a buddy when I was going to epoxy the floor. I had to scrap that idea and due to the fume issue alone I'm not totally upset that I cant paint the floor. (its not worth fixing the cracks just to be able to paint it)
    Yep. It will for absolutely scorch your lungs and burn your skin. You for sure don't want it in your eyes. It's what most concrete truck drivers use to clean their trucks. I used the stuff for 15yrs.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Believe me, I'd like to, but city ordinance forbids it. I am well within city limits in a terraced neighborhood with neighbors close it. I don't set out rat traps with peanut butter because of all the kids in the hood.

Call the Tippecanoe County Courthouse. I hear they have ways of dealing with nuisances.

Top Bottom