• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That can be synched between (at minimum) 2 android phones?

My wife and I suddenly find ourselves in need of some kind of app that we can share a "communal" events calendar. One that will let either of us add events as needed.

I've been through the standard Google calendar that comes with our phones and I cannot seem to see any way to make that one work.

Suggestions?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    My wife and I share google calendars . We both have a gmail address and each of us shares our calendar with the other. I don't know how to tell you to do it other than google for instructions. We did use our desktop computer to set this up.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We use the shared calendar via gmail. It works as advertised. Good for school events, etc... I have my work calendar then a calendar for school on my device.

I set it up per some instructions on 'how to keep your family in sync with google calendars'.

Yes, I believe you'll both need a gmail account.

Last edited:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    me and my wife share google calendars that came with android phones.

go to settings then manage calender then at bottom u can add calender. u can change the colours of the persons calenders. we have different colours for me, her and birthdays and the like.

depends on which one u have it might just be manage calenders. ull have to look around alittle. on mine there are 3 dots on top of each other then its manage calenders.

if u have a android google. u should have a gmail. i have one but dont use it. it also saves your phone book if its set up to do it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hmmmm... I didn't know Gmail calendars did this!

I only barely use Gmail on my phone.

It's not hard to share calendars with Google/Gmail. You can even turn them on and off as you want. So if you just want to look at your stuff, you can turn your wife's calendar off, then turn it back on to see how it overlays with yours.

They even have others overlays you can add if you are in to that sort of thing. Makes my calendar to full to add phases of the moon, weather, etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well - it seems that I was able to add my wife's calendar to my phone by adding her Gmail acct. I then had to deselect all the "parts" of her acct that I didn't want synced. I'd have figured that it would have been easier and a tad more intuitive than that.

All in all, I'd still like a stand-alone calendar app that would allow either of us to fiddle with, but this'll do.

I'll have to add my calendar/acct to her phone when I get home.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Looks good but you have to put it on your home screen only and you can't have anything else on it.

You can place it on a 2nd,3rd,etc screen. Also, do a press-hold on the widget-on-the-screen then you can size it such as 4x5, 2x3, etc.

I found it useful so I could take a quick glance at multiple calendars and the rolling agenda. I color code my calendars to they show up on the widget differently.

...And no, I am not involved with the app in any way...

:ingo:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well - I found that the only way to get the stock Google calendar to work was to add her Gmail/Google account to my phone.

But all that came with screwing up my contacts, Play Store, etc etc. That was even after I went into Accounts and only had it sync the calendar by itself.

So - I deleted her account from my phone - and am still on the hunt for a 3rd party app that we can both download and utilize.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well - I found that the only way to get the stock Google calendar to work was to add her Gmail/Google account to my phone.

But all that came with screwing up my contacts, Play Store, etc etc. That was even after I went into Accounts and only had it sync the calendar by itself.

So - I deleted her account from my phone - and am still on the hunt for a 3rd party app that we can both download and utilize.

I'm certainly not tbe ingo tech guy but that doesn't make sense to me. My wife and I use Google cal. exactly like you are wanting to. She has a cal i have one and each of us have changed our settings to show both. It's been years since setting it up so I would have to re learn it to walk someone through it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm certainly not tbe ingo tech guy but that doesn't make sense to me. My wife and I use Google cal. exactly like you are wanting to. She has a cal i have one and each of us have changed our settings to show both. It's been years since setting it up so I would have to re learn it to walk someone through it.

It may very well have to do with what's built-in to the calendar on this particular phone (LG G4).

Or, rather, what's left out.

Frustrating.

I may try downloading another Google calendar that's available and trying that.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Kathy and I use the Google calendar with great success, including not only our calendars, but also for the 5 kids. Works like a charm!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

TF- You don't need to 'add' her account to your phone. She needs to 'share' her calendar to you or you share yours to her. If you both want a 'single' shared calendar separate from your original personal gmail cal... I would suggest adding a new calendar to your gmail account... call it OurSharedCal. Then in settings for your 'OurSharedCal' calendar- share it to her. She will get an invite to add your new shared calendar to her gmail.

PM me if you need some help.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to hijack, but has anyone found a decent app for syncing notes and tasks with Exchange? For some inexplicable reason the MS Outlook for iDevices is fully supported, but MS Outlook for Andriod omits Notes and Tasks and only shows mail and calendars. :scratch:

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Not to hijack, but has anyone found a decent app for syncing notes and tasks with Exchange? For some inexplicable reason the MS Outlook for iDevices is fully supported, but MS Outlook for Andriod omits Notes and Tasks and only shows mail and calendars. :scratch:
    I have used Touchdown from the Google play store: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid. I have used it for years for connecting to our corporate exchange server & it works fairly well. I believe the free version has all the bells and whistles, but only works for a month. You can try it and decide if it's worth the money!

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    TF- You don't need to 'add' her account to your phone. She needs to 'share' her calendar to you or you share yours to her. If you both want a 'single' shared calendar separate from your original personal gmail cal... I would suggest adding a new calendar to your gmail account... call it OurSharedCal. Then in settings for your 'OurSharedCal' calendar- share it to her. She will get an invite to add your new shared calendar to her gmail.

PM me if you need some help.
    This... The key is to use calendar sharing. I have about 10 of my own calendars, two of my wife's calendars & my in-laws calendar (which my wife manages for them). I can toggle on/off any calendars very quickly. My wife can schedule appts on my personal calendar and see all of my work appts when needed. We love it!

Top Bottom