• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Guy at work bought a new Ford Escape and was describing the stop/start feature it has. Thought he was talking about a hybrid but this isn't one. The engine evidently shuts off when you are stopped with your foot on the brake, like at a traffic light, and then restarts when you remove your foot. I admit not being savvy about modern engines, but it would seem that putting an acceleration load on low or no oil pressure at startup would be hard on rod and crank bearings. Couldn't find much on the internet, do these cars have some way of keeping oil pressure up like a preoiler pump?:dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe they're counting on the oil not draining out in the short time it takes a light to cycle. Interesting queston.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I saw that at the driving range last week. Took a couple buckets out to test my knee and shoulder (not good but might last 18) and saw a couple of the new carts with this feature. Gas engines that cut off when you stop. Pushing the gas pedal engages the gas engine again. It performs much like an electric engine vehicle.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It is very hard on batteries. BMW tried this on some of their models and are having chronic battery failures at a rate of about once every 6 to 12 months.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    it would seem that putting an acceleration load on low or no oil pressure at startup would be hard on rod and crank bearings. Couldn't find much on the internet, do these cars have some way of keeping oil pressure up like a preoiler pump?:dunno:

No, they let the oil pressure drop to zero. However they do understand the additional wear potential and use three major adaptations to deal with it.

First is the bearings are designed for the frequent starts. (Note I'm not sure who Ford uses, but this sort of tech: Product Information - IROX® Polymer Coated Bearings

Second is the the use of synthetic oils that "stick" to the bearings longer, flow quickly, and tolerate the temperature spikes.

Finally, the computer won't let you really romp it until oil pressure is back to where it needs to be. BMW has used this for a long time, at least as far back as 2000 or so when the M5 had a rev limiter that was kept you under a set rpm until oil temps were up to a certain point.

I think battery life and starter wear is more of an obstacle than internal motor wear as of now. Some cars have gone to a dual electric system, a battery to power the start/stop and a battery to run everything else.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I wouldn't own a newer Ford after the BS I've been through with my car. Ford trying to reinventing the wheel, producing crap (lemons), then saying sorry but you're SOL.

Whatever they're touting, I'd just ignore it and however they claim their doing something, just safely assume it has issues and look elsewhere.

Might not answer the question, but I'll just say he'll have issues with whatever he has

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I got one of those as a rental car once, I thought it had died the first time I was at a red light. Took several times before I realized that it was actually supposed to be doing that. I didn't like it one bit.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I got one of those as a rental car once, I thought it had died the first time I was at a red light. Took several times before I realized that it was actually supposed to be doing that. I didn't like it one bit.

Same here, I had a rental F-150 that had it. Engine would shut down which in turn killed the A/C. Not fun when you're in South Carolina in July.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My in-laws have a Jeep Cherokee with that "feature". Pretty annoying in start/stop traffic. My FIL is also one of those "inchers" at stop-lights, so it bugs the heck out of him.

Theirs can be disabled with a button on the dash. Just have to remember to push it when you first take off.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We had a Chevy Malibu with this feature as rental a year or two ago. My wife drove it first and noticed the tach going all the way to 0 while at a light (and it takes a few seconds before it decides to shut the engine down) and thought something was wrong. I gotta say, it was so smooth, I didn't notice it stopping and starting.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Commifornia and New York City and some more of the East coast is going to mandate this in the next few years. They are wanting to do it to the Diesel delivery trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, Ect.

Soap box Alert. !!!!! here is your chance to bail

But the EPA has infiltrated Car/truck/engine companies and anyone who has bought a 2015 or newer is in for a huge shock when the vehicle is 3-5 years old. You will be trading them in and your going to be in a constant cycle of a vehicle only economical for about 2-3 years of it's life. The technology that has been forced on the manufactures and therefore on you the consumer is not stable or proven. Dealing with the sensors alone will cost you about $800-$1500 everytime one breaks down. Plus the downtime and the fact that new vehicles are prohibited from having a limp home and will put you out of commission without warning will lead to a customer who just has to eat "poop" and smile and drive the new vehicle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We had a Chevy Malibu with this feature as rental a year or two ago. My wife drove it first and noticed the tach going all the way to 0 while at a light (and it takes a few seconds before it decides to shut the engine down) and thought something was wrong. I gotta say, it was so smooth, I didn't notice it stopping and starting.

I rented a Cruze in LA last year and if it weren't for the tach, I would not have known it was shutting off.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Right...

Guess the fact that you punch the gas and the car has to start then rev up to take off has no effect...

Have you tried it? The car starts and is fully ready in the time it takes to get your foot from the brake to the gas, a small fraction of a second. I doubt the engine makes 1 full revolution on the starter before it's running.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you tried it? The car starts and is fully ready in the time it takes to get your foot from the brake to the gas, a small fraction of a second.

1/3 t0 1/2 a second, depending on motor and manufacturer. I'd say it takes longer than than to ease into a manual clutch, and we've done fine with those for quite awhile.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you tried it? The car starts and is fully ready in the time it takes to get your foot from the brake to the gas, a small fraction of a second. I doubt the engine makes 1 full revolution on the starter before it's running.

On the Malibu I drove, it was pretty amazing. No cranking, just a running engine like you said--by the time your foot reaches the gas, it's running.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

Yes, have had both the Cruz and Malibu rental cars, hated them both, did have a Cruz without it that was turbo'd that I really liked though, was a fun little car.

I am simply not a fan, my wife who could care less about vehicles even hates it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Commifornia and New York City and some more of the East coast is going to mandate this in the next few years. They are wanting to do it to the Diesel delivery trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, Ect.

Soap box Alert. !!!!! here is your chance to bail

But the EPA has infiltrated Car/truck/engine companies and anyone who has bought a 2015 or newer is in for a huge shock when the vehicle is 3-5 years old. You will be trading them in and your going to be in a constant cycle of a vehicle only economical for about 2-3 years of it's life. The technology that has been forced on the manufactures and therefore on you the consumer is not stable or proven. Dealing with the sensors alone will cost you about $800-$1500 everytime one breaks down. Plus the downtime and the fact that new vehicles are prohibited from having a limp home and will put you out of commission without warning will lead to a customer who just has to eat "poop" and smile and drive the new vehicle.

Big diesel engine manufacturers like Cummins, Detroit and Cat went through the same thing with forced emmisions compliance 2 years sooner than expected. That was in 2003. 15 years later, things are FINALLY starting to look better. Until the next batch of EPA regs come out in 2020.

Top Bottom