• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So I feel like an idiot for having ever purchase a GMC acadia. Its a 2011 bought used and if it weren't for the extended warranty I purchased I would have been out over 6k for the THREE transmissions we put in it. Turns out that was a common and known issue, I just wasn't in the loop. Also, parts are stupid expensive and things like changing a light bulb require 2 hours of work for wheel and bumper removal.

Before that it was a Chrysler Town and Country, whose motherboard fuel pump control went out. Also a common and known issue to everyone but me. In some states its actually a recalled item, just not Indiana.

Meanwhile, I have been driving a 2006 chevy Silverado with the 5.6 vortec in it and its a breeze to work on and hardly give me an issue at all.

SOOO>... we have 1.5 years left on the extended warranty on the acadia, and before that time is up we want to be out of it.

I am wanting advice on what vehicles to start looking at. Stuff that's moderately easy to work on, parts readily available, and a rugged dependable vehicle. SUV, with third row seating.

Currently we are looking at the ford explorer and the Honda pilot.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Have you looked at the Traverse? My father-in-law has one and my sister has one. We plan on getting one when we trade in our Town and Country next year. I hate the Chrysler but have fallen in love with the Traverse. I have rented both and like the Explorer too. I don't really have much experience with the Honda.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Have you looked at the Traverse? My father-in-law has one and my sister has one. We plan on getting one when we trade in our Town and Country next year. I hate the Chrysler but have fallen in love with the Traverse. I have rented both and like the Explorer too. I don't really have much experience with the Honda.

Lmao

A Traverse is the same thing as a Acadia

Maybe you should try a Buick Enclave...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you like your Silverado then why not get the SUV version of it being the Tahoe-Suburban-Yukon-Yukon XL?

It'll be a collector item, what with the rare 5.6L option.

There is a significant price difference between an Explorer and a Yukon XL. You could almost buy 2 Explorers for the price of a Yukon XL.

The Explorer isn't in the same size class as the Yukon XL. Since discontinuing the Excursion, Ford doesn't have anything in that class.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'd look at a Honda Odyssey or Mazda CX-9..My CX-9 is a 2011. Other than one recall the dealer took care of, all I have done is routine maintenance.

I would never ever buy another Chrysler product. Ask me about Chryslers (plural) and transmissions.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I'd look at a Honda Odyssey or Mazda CX-9..My CX-9 is a 2011. Other than one recall the dealer took care of, all I have done is routine maintenance.

I would never ever buy another Chrysler product. Ask me about Chryslers (plural) and transmissions.
    I will never buy another Chrysler product. It would be better at the bottom of a lake.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There is a significant price difference between an Explorer and a Yukon XL. You could almost buy 2 Explorers for the price of a Yukon XL.

But then you would be stuck with 2 Explorers instead of one Yukon. I guess it would be handy to have a spare while the other was in the shop for repair. :D Seriously though, I frequently drive a 2013 Explorer for work and it has mostly held together through about 70K miles so far. It had a couple of electrical issues while still under warranty that would have been more than a little concerning if it had been my own vehicle and it always seems to have a slight burnt plastic/rubber smell to it despite everything appearing to be fine. My biggest complaints are that the interior layout is kind of FUBAR and it is hard to see out of it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, GM quality has gone down-hill drastically post-2008 bailout. Their dealerships no longer have to "compete" so their CS sucks, and the reliability sucks too. I'm a lifelong GM fan, but I think my next purchase will be anything but GM (if I'm buying newer). The fact of the matter is, nobody makes a vehicle more reliable than the late-90's and early 2000's GM product. Toyota has had engine & transmission troubles, Ford has the same problems even to a worse extent, Chrysler seems hit or miss, and GM has just gone downhill all-around. They are putting more effort and engineering into gadgets and creature comforts than they are in reliability and maintainability, and that is a sad state of affairs. As far as the maintainability goes, they don't pay for the headlight bulb that requires 2 hours of labor to tear into, YOU pay for it and their dealership service department is the real winner. They saved money on engineering efforts, sold the car to you at a lower price, and NOW you'll pay for that lower price by lining the pockets of their service departments that don't give a darn about the customer anymore.

We have a 2009 Enclave that has already had at least 1 tranny rebuild since we bought it (FYI, the transmission is a joint GM-Ford effort, their midsize SUV has the same transmission). They are full of problems and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it. Yes, the light-bulbs are a real treat to change. I've had a daytime running light burned out for going on 2 years now. I refused to pull the wheel, inner fender/wheel-well, and bumper off to change a single bulb so it will stay that way.

If you like your early 2000's truck and you need a good 3rd row SUV why not find a decent low miles early 2000's Suburban? I think that's going to be my game-plan when the Enclave gets the good-bye.

I could rant all day. Lets just say that a TERRIBLE experience at the dealership last year has turned me away from GM, likely forever, unless I can find a nice, older vehicle that won't require trips to the dealer...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Honda, Toyota or their luxury counterparts. I don't think I'll ever buy anything else except older full size GM and Ford trucks. Oh and a Corvette someday.

Find something used that fits your needs and pay cash for it. Don't buy extended warranty. Listen to Dave Ramsey.

Top Bottom