• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    What are some laptops that are decent for the 200 dollar range. Will be for a high school student won't be used for gaming or anything fancy just internet use and school work. Probably also would use to stream Netflix. I don't know anything about laptops and all the technical stuff you want to look for. We just know she doesn't want a chrome book.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Can you port the chrome book out to a regular monitor and use reuse keyboard/mouse while at home, but grab and go with just the book?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Depends on what your definition of "good" is. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a good laptop for $200.

Chromebook would be as close as it gets, but its still hard to get a decent chromebook for $200.
    Need to save files? Save music? Dont get a chromebook.

Need anything better than a Celeron (20 yr old technology) or Pentium (10 yr old tech in its current form) processor? Not going to get it for $200.

Streaming Netflix? Good luck on a $200 laptop without it being choppy.

Spend the extra money. You can get a good Core i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, and 128 GB SSD for $600. It will be worth it, and you will thank me later. Don't cheap out on a computer. I've done it before, and regretted it almost immediately.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Depends on what your definition of "good" is. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a good laptop for $200.

Chromebook would be as close as it gets, but its still hard to get a decent chromebook for $200.

Need anything better than a Celeron (20 yr old technology) or Pentium (10 yr old tech in its current form) processor? Not going to get it for $200.

Spend the extra money. You can get a good Core i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, and 128 GB SSD for $600. It will be worth it, and you will thank me later. Don't cheap out on a computer. I've done it before, and regretted it almost immediately.

I stream Netflix and Youtube at 720p fullscreen just fine on a 2014 Asus T100TA convertible tablet/notebook running on an Intel Atom.

I even have a 10+ year old Core 2 Duo E6700 I use for streaming to my TV and as a second PC when my wife is using the main one. Today's lowest "Pentium" laptop CPUs kick it's butt many times over.

Other than gaming, you'd be surprised what even low end machines are capable of these days. The main issue is low spec parts like batteries, keyboard, screens and hinges. For a high school kid $200 laptop will be no different than a $400 laptop for research, word processing, email, and YouTube. If he/she's a freshman, spend a bit more so it physically and functionally lasts 4 years... if they're a junior or senior, cheap out and save the money for the pseudo-requisite MacBook in college... at $2500 you'll need it.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

I stream Netflix on a Raspberry Pi 3B all the time...over DSL and wifi... $35 for the Pi and $7 for the power supply.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You can find good name brands for that price but no cd/dvd drive if that is important. Right now there should be a lot of back to school specials.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I did some looking on BestBuy's website... you are looking at $280 minimum for a basic laptop with Win 10, "Pentium" or "i3" processor, a real harddrive, and enough RAM to run smooth.

Everything $250 and under is Celeron or Atom running off of eMMC drives... basically slow flash drive based hard drives (Not same as much faster SSD). Good enough for typing and browsing but too small for storing classwork photos and too slow for any video editing or multitasking.

Here is a very decent machine for a high schooler... only $300... Add a used widescreen monitor from Goodwill for $20 and a full size wireless keyboard and mouse and she can type papers all day.

Dell Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Black I3567-3629BLK-PUS - Best Buy

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll second the Atom processors. There are quite a few decent transformer (tablet with a keyboard) options that work well. It will do OK for surfing, youtube, word processing, etc. But no gaming. An i3 is also a good low end processor with more power than the Atom.

This is another good place with great prices. And they have a warehouse near the airport (SR67/Ameriplex parkway area behind Damar) that will do will-call.

https://www.newegg.com/Computer-Systems/Store

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you really want to be frugal and cost effective, borrow a laptop for a few months and start your serious search beginning of November. Pre-, post- Black Friday online stuff is THE best pricing. This often goes through Xmas with daily or weekly popup sales. Subscribe to all the popular online companies flash sale emailers.

Sometimes even Amazon or NewEgg have good enough sale pricing to justify the taxes. Sometimes they actually have better regular pricing than other's sale pricing. You just have to watch and compare. Amazon and NewEgg will usually have the most customer reviews, so you gotta go there anyway, right?

Doubt that there is anything comparable right now as everyone is looking for the same last minute thing.

Last edited:

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    buy used Chromebook, install Linux via USB, profit.

cheap, easy, and gives you more wiggle room because you are buying used.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You might be able to score a base model Dell laptop for 350 plus tax and shipping....less then that, you are looking at chromebooks and used laptops

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Best on line dealer, IMHO, is Microcenter.com, They have retail locations too. Wide selection of factory refurbished laptops, and desktops, and many are 200 or less.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Not sure if you've bought something yet but Fry's always has a good deal on laptops if you sign up for their promo codes. They have a 14" i5 Dell laptop this week with windows 10 for $197. It's refurbished but I've bought both of my boys refurbished laptops from there and never had an issue. It won't game but it'll run Word, PowerPoint, and Excel with no issue. If you want my promo code let me know because I won't be using it for anything this week. Free shipping too if you aren't near the north side of Indianapolis.

Top Bottom