• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Howdy guys and gals,
    I am currently empolyed as a security guard in Northwest Indiana, the pay is decent at $13/hour and it comes with benefits. It is just a job to help me get through school. The only downside is that the job is boring and we pretty much have to stand whenever we are not on break.
    I ran into a guy who goes to school with me and he was telling me about his empliyment with Lyft, a rival of Uber. He was telling me that he drove Friday and Saturday nights in downtown Chicago, picking up people from the bars and driving them to wherever they wanted to go. I was informed that he made between $1200-$1300 a month doing this.
    I have been thinking about signing up with Lyft or Uber, the reason he quit was because sometimes he picked sketchy people. Just wondering if anyone here can add some input, i have a newer car and enjoy driving.
    Thanks.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Doesn't sound like much money for all the extra liability. I noticed this time some amendments my insurance company had added to their policies for customers. I always read them so I know what slimmy stuff their lawyers are trying to weasel them out of. Well they basicly said they don't cover you if you're driving your vehicle for profit with paid guest.
    So if youre gonna do this make sure you check with your insurance company to make sure you have the proper coverage. The last thing you want is to have an accident with injury or even damage and have the insurance not cover you and then get sued so bad you have to pay off debt the rest of your life before you even get,your life started

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Then comes the 1099 and the introduction to the concept of self-employment tax. Personally, I wouldn't complicate my life with this when all you are trying to do is get through school.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I noticed this time some amendments my insurance company had added to their policies for customers...
    ...basicly said they don't cover you if you're driving your vehicle for profit with paid guest.
    So if youre gonna do this make sure you check with your insurance company to make sure you have the proper coverage...

State Farm sent me the same disclaimer.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    It's not worth it. You have to deal with higher insurance, figuring out what you owe for taxes, more wear and tear on your car, dealing with people(especially drunk people), and fighting with everyone else that is trying to get passengers. You're better off keeping your security job.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I drove full time for a year in south bend. The schedule is flexible. You can drive 5 minutes a week or 50 hours a week. That was really the only perk. Pay is pretty crappy, driver support is non existent (but better w lyft than uber) and you don't know where the rider is going until you pick them up. Is someone going 1 mile or 200? Don't know till they are in your car. As far as safety, there are only a couple of times I was sketched out. All the riders are registered on the app so to me, that means it's a bit safer. Something might happen to you but at least authorities can figure out who did it. People will be rude as well as throw up in or on your car. People will yell racist stuff at other drivers from your passenger seat. People will send emails to uber saying you did something you didn't just so they get a free ride (and you won't get paid). People will make you wait a long time when you arrive to pick them up. People will try to fit 12 people in your car so they can save money. People will try to have you babysit their kids while they "run in" to the store. People will bring animals in your car and you cant refuse someone with a service dog. People will have such bad BO you smell them for ywo days. People will crank your car stereo without asking and blow your speakers. If you can deal with all that, give it a try.

Last edited:

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Doesn't sound like much money for all the extra liability. I noticed this time some amendments my insurance company had added to their policies for customers. I always read them so I know what slimmy stuff their lawyers are trying to weasel them out of. Well they basicly said they don't cover you if you're driving your vehicle for profit with paid guest.
    So if youre gonna do this make sure you check with your insurance company to make sure you have the proper coverage. The last thing you want is to have an accident with injury or even damage and have the insurance not cover you and then get sued so bad you have to pay off debt the rest of your life before you even get,your life started

Uber insures their drivers while they are driving for Uber. Not sure about Lyft. Probably the same. As far as not knowing how far and where you are going until a customer gets in the driver does have the option of declining the trip. An Uber driver that I know in Inidianapolis drove to Chicago on a moments notice but he made bank doing it. You couldn't get me to drive to Chicago for anything. He did say that there have been occasions he just didn't have the time for the intended trip and declined once he knew where it was going.

Last edited:

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Uber insures their drivers while they are driving for Uber. Not sure about Lyft. Probably the same. As far as not knowing how far and where you are going until a customer gets in the driver does have the option of declining the trip. An Uber driver that I know in Inidianapolis drove to Chicago on a moments notice but he made bank doing it. You couldn't get me to drive to Chicago for anything. He did say that there have been occasions he just didn't have the time for the intended trip and declined once he knew where it was going.

There is insurance for when a rider is in your but not while you are driving to pick someone up. Drivers can refuse rides but the more you do that, the less requests you get. Also, after driving 25 minutes to pick someone up, wasting that time and gas isnt a real good option. Let me add to my previous list: people will have you drive 30 minutes to pick them up and then cancel the ride when you are 3 minutes away.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Then comes the 1099 and the introduction to the concept of self-employment tax. Personally, I wouldn't complicate my life with this when all you are trying to do is get through school.

^^^^THIS^^^^

You are self employed. This makes your tax situtation about 10 times worse.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Keep in mind they also require a vehicle <8 or 10 years old. Most students that worry about making enough money don't have a car that new.

1200 a month, in downtown chicago where rates are much higher, isn't that much and certainly isn't worth it once you consider wear/maintenance and consumables for your car, GAS, and the 1099 taxes vs W2. sounds great that you get all the money up front until you realize you pay more tax and have to save it over the year to pay it all in April.

Top Bottom