• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was doing some weeding today and cleaning up a long flowerbed along a hedge row, and about 2/3 of the way through, I noticed that my NRA ring wasn't on my hand. Just wondered if there were anyone on the south side of Indy that would be willing to come by and walk the hedge row (about 75 feet). If so, PM me and we can make arrangements. I'm going to hold off on hauling the bags of weeds away for now, just in case someone has the detector and the ring isn't found in or near the flowerbed. I don't think it made it into one of the bags, but better safe than sorry. Thanks! :ingo:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I would think that if it is in one of the bags, shaking them a while would let the ring find it's way to the bottom of the (plastic?) bag to be easily felt along the seam or in the corner of the bag. Worth a try.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would think that if it is in one of the bags, shaking them a while would let the ring find it's way to the bottom of the (plastic?) bag to be easily felt along the seam or in the corner of the bag. Worth a try.

May give that a try, but I was aware that the ring was missing before I started bagging it up so I was trying to be careful, but it's quite possible that I could have missed it. Its a lot of viny crap, peonies and day lilies for the most part, and they're pretty packed. The viny stuff is my prime suspect.

I'll try to remember to get mine from my barn in southern IN this weekend. Hopefully you find it before then though!

I'm hoping so too! Thank you for the offer at any rate!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have a minelab e trac. I just let my buddy in noblesville borrow it to do some treasure hunting on his property with his boys. If you don't have it by the time I get it back with the appliance dolly he borrowed I'll come look for it for you. I'm also on the southside. We refer to each other as on the other side of the world. That traffic makes me angry when ever I go to visit him....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Think if we got on our hands and knees we might be able to weed it out?
    I'd be glad to give you a hand to manually find it buddy.

Thanks Harry. Then we'd just end up with two old guys with sore knees. :): I've been up and down the flowerbed several times with no luck so far (and I cleared a lot of stuff out of it - cut down a bunch of peonies and day lilies in addition to pulling out the weeds and vines).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a minelab e trac. I just let my buddy in noblesville borrow it to do some treasure hunting on his property with his boys. If you don't have it by the time I get it back with the appliance dolly he borrowed I'll come look for it for you. I'm also on the southside. We refer to each other as on the other side of the world. That traffic makes me angry when ever I go to visit him....

Appreciate the offer! I don't envy you going up to Noblesville. I try not to go north of 56th st. on the northeast side of town for the same reason (traffic).

I've got a real cheap detector you're welcome to try.
    you can come get it tomorrow or I can bring it to you Thursday.

Thanks! I'll shoot you a text later this morning and see what we can work out. It's not a terribly expensive ring or anything, but DoggyMama got it for me a couple of Christmases ago so it has some sentimental value, and I do like the ring. I'm off work this week (catching up on yard work), so my schedule is flexible.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Probably smashed down into the dirt/mud. You may find it at the strangest time. Like I told you, I found my wedding ring after two years.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks again for the use of your detector! Yeah, hopefully one day I'll be out there and maybe the sun will hit it just right and it will catch my eye. :)

Did you check to make sure the detector was working?
    ARE YOU 100% SURE you were wearing it when you were working? You've joined the Geezer Group now buddy. Yea, that fella in the mirror ain't tellin' a fib.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If its magnetic a roofers magnet may be worth a try.

Also try looking at night with a flashlight. Reflection may give it away.

Yeah, if it is magnetic I agree a big roofers magnet might work. If you really want to find it and it is magnetic, I would use a heavy duty magnet and go over entire thing, then take a steel rake and rake the entire area and go over it again. Try that 2 or 3 times. Also dump them bags out and spread in drive and take magnet over them.

It always amazes me how nails disappear in grass.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did you check to make sure the detector was working?
    ARE YOU 100% SURE you were wearing it when you were working? You've joined the Geezer Group now buddy. Yea, that fella in the mirror ain't tellin' a fib.

Oh yeah, it was working. I put a new set of batteries in it to make sure, and I did find some very small nearly unidentifiable pieces of "metal" - one looked like the lid to an airplane bottle of booze. One I think was one of those little foil seals like you find on top of bleach bottles, so I think it was sensitive enough. And yes I'm sure I was wearing it at the time. :): I never take it off (or I guess I should say "took" it off).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, if it is magnetic I agree a big roofers magnet might work. If you really want to find it and it is magnetic, I would use a heavy duty magnet and go over entire thing, then take a steel rake and rake the entire area and go over it again. Try that 2 or 3 times. Also dump them bags out and spread in drive and take magnet over them.

It always amazes me how nails disappear in grass.
    Too late on the bags... I made a 4 a.m. illicit dumpster run this morning (since I'm no longer able to set out yard waste for trash pickup if it doesn't fit in my big blue can). I'll be cutting the grass later today, so maybe I'll be able to see better once the grass is shorter, but I have a feeling I'm just going to be ordering another ring and giving the NRA some more of my money. :spend:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That will probably make the old ring reappear, for sure!

Guaranteed Mike...When I first got out of the hospital I lost my little Surefire light I always keep in my front pocket...Couldn't find it anywhere...Looked for two weeks...Finally broke down and went to Bass Pro to pick up another one.....I pulled up in the drive with my new flashlight in the BPS bag and looked down on the frozen ground by the drive and there my old one was....

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    My dad lost a ring years ago putting up a fence, he wasn't sure where it went. Many years later my brother got a metal detector and went along where the old fence used to be, or thought where it used to be, but never found it.
    Another short and positive story.... When I was little I remember having a little pocket knife and it dropped in front of our house in the grass. NEVER found it! It's amazing how when you drop something in the grass it goes away so quickly.
    I do hope that you are able to find your ring. Losing, or misplacing things, just stinks!

Top Bottom