• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So those with some land and dead trees, the house has two dead trees, one is about 30 ft and the other 45 - 50 ft. This is the sticking point in our offer, seller doesn't want to remove the dead trees or split the cost of removal. My concern is that if it falls on the house or the neighbor's house insurance may not cover damage due to "not being well maintained" is the clause from my current insurance. So if the tree has a solid root system am I worrying about nothing?

I rather do four root canals at the same time than buy a house in today's market.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've never heard "not being well maintained", but if it does say that, have them taken down or insist the seller have it done before closing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If he won't reduce the price of the home to cover the cost, you have to decide if the price you are paying for the house is still acceptable with the additional cost of getting two trees removed.

Have you received any quotes to remove them and grind the stumps?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Seller already refused, comment was that's landscaping. I'd tell them to shove it, but the wife is set on getting this house so I know I will lose in the end, wonder if I could let it stand for a year or so until my current house is sold and I have the funds from improvements. Sellers market in Indianapolis and yes we have to stay in Indianapolis

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seller already refused, comment was that's landscaping. I'd tell them to shove it, but the wife is set on getting this house so I know I will lose in the end, wonder if I could let it stand for a year or so until my current house is sold and I have the funds from improvements. Sellers market in Indianapolis and yes we have to stay in Indianapolis
    If it can fall and reach the house, AND your ins. co. has already warned you, don't chance it. If it can't reach the house, don't worry about it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I walked away from a house that I would have been very happy with if it wasn't for the $20K I would have to spend to remove a backyard full of pine trees! So far at my current home, I believe we have taken out 5 or so. A couple on my own and the ones that required climbing, I hired it.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Those 2 trees, according to your dimensions, would be in the $500ish neighborhood to have both removed. Stump grinding and chip removal should run around another $250ish.

If I was married, I'd eat $750 before I lost my housewarming, birthday, and anniversary privileges if you smell what I'm stepping in.

Eta; they are probably ash and that makes good firewood. Have them leave the bigger wood for you to burn and you may save a few bucks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those 2 trees, according to your dimensions, would be in the $500ish neighborhood to have both removed. Stump grinding and chip removal should run around another $250ish.

If I was married, I'd eat $750 before I lost my housewarming, birthday, and anniversary privileges if you smell what I'm stepping in.

Eta; they are probably ash and that makes good firewood. Have them leave the bigger wood for you to burn and you may save a few bucks

Heck man...have him pay you to drop them. I will buy the ash from you for next year.....Win Win.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    How high risk are the trees to fall them yourself?
    That's what I can't gauge, roots look solid, so who knows, most of the branches are broken off, so the trees have withstood the high winds. I think this is done deal, the wife wants the house and it's not worth the pain points I'm suffering right now for holding out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I walked away from a house that I would have been very happy with if it wasn't for the $20K I would have to spend to remove a backyard full of pine trees! So far at my current home, I believe we have taken out 5 or so. A couple on my own and the ones that required climbing, I hired it.

I got that beat. I've dropped about 30 trees, and I bet I'm not halfway there yet. Major pain in the butt, but it's worth it in the long run.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ash trees seem to break about half way up after they've been dead about a year. It's the number one wood I've been cutting up and splitting.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    How close to anything important are said trees? How is the access once wood is down?

That's the 2 questions that will make your estimate change quickly.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    How close to anything important are said trees? How is the access once wood is down?

That's the 2 questions that will make your estimate change quickly.
    If the tall one falls it will hit an house on the property or the next door house. Yeah I'm screwed, going have to pony up the $$$$$ for the tree cutting ... the wife wins, sellers market.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom