• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The was posted in my Next Door App by the Elkhart County Sheriffs Department.

Im trying to decide which hurts worse, laying the bike down or Hornet Stings.
    I think I'm going with hornet stings hurting worse.

Call of the week:
    On August 8th, officers responded to a single vehicle crash involving a motorcycle. The driver reported a hornet had entered his helmet, went down his back between his shirt and jacket, stinging him repeatedly, causing him to lay down his motorcycle in an attempt to get away from the hornet. The multiple hornet stings appearing on the driver’s back confirmed this to be true. The driver reported minor injuries, and the accused hornet fled the scene before officers arrived.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That sucks. I hope he is gonna be alright.

I has something similar happen. Luckily I kept the bike up right and managed not to get stung. I was cruising down Riverside Drive and I was in the middle of a curve when I had a wood bee smack me in the forehead. It rolled up between my helmet and head. I drove off up on the grass and quickly yanked the helmet off. There was the bee. Stunned but he few a way. I ended up with just a red mark. I didn't ask the bee how he was but, I bet he was sore. :):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That sucks. I hope he is gonna be alright.

I has something similar happen. Luckily I kept the bike up right and managed not to get stung. I was cruising down Riverside Drive and I was in the middle of a curve when I had a wood bee smack me in the forehead. It rolled up between my helmet and head. I drove off up on the grass and quickly yanked the helmet off. There was the bee. Stunned but he few a way. I ended up with just a red mark. I didn't ask the bee how he was but, I bet he was sore. :):

Wow a wood bee to the noggin probably didn't feel good. Glad you were able to get stopped.

I have been stung while riding before but it was on the arm.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I really figured I would be stung before I got the helmet off. It felt like I was hit with a small rock. I was probably going 40 or so (yea 10 over but you get pasted if you drive any slower in that).

I did have another experience in the car years ago with a wasp. I was driving about 30mph slowing down coming up on a set of train tracks and a wasp hit my arm and landed in my lap. I was wearing shorts. I got off the road in a hurry and scooped it in to a drink cup and tossed it out the window. Behind me was a cop. He was like "WTF are you doing man!!" I tossed the wasp out on the ground, stepped on it and said "getting that f'n thing out of my lap before it nailed me". He said ok, I was trying to figure out why you where in such a hurry to get out of my way. I get it now and chuckled a bit.

Another lucky high speed encounter with a stingy SOB that did not get me. I have been stung several times though. Just not while driving. Well I got it good on the tractor a few years ago. About a half dozen times. :xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spouse and I were in the Blue Ridge on the Park way and had a run in with some angry flying stinger wielding insects. I have no idea what exactly they were beyond the multiple stings I received though my Tee shirt under my vest.
    I was a bit panicked but got the Bike stopped and stand down while stripping off the vest. Creature flew off unscathed best I could tell.
    Me, not so much.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Knew a guy when I lived in bama that would catch a rattle snake and sew its mouth shut.

He he would then put it in somebodys vehicle. The tell is that one time the snake came out from under a seat and was striking at the driver.

I can guarantee you that I would have bailed at whatever speed I was going and give the snake the vehicle.

Might have been a myth but he did lay a six ft dead one at the back door of my shop and called for me to come out.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Know the guy by association.

He'll be fine, but it sounds kinda like what happens when you lay a bike down for any reason, hornets included.

-Nate

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    1968, riding my 1965 BSA Hornet (no kidding) got a Wasp in my shirt. It stung me 14 times before I slapped the right spot and killed it. I kept the Bike up and got it stopped. 2 cars stopped, both drivers thought I was having a Seizure.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    1968, riding my 1965 BSA Hornet (no kidding) got a Wasp in my shirt. It stung me 14 times before I slapped the right spot and killed it. I kept the Bike up and got it stopped. 2 cars stopped, both drivers thought I was having a Seizure.

My dad was a BSA guy. I have a picture of me sitting on it as a young child.
    I wish I had it now.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    If you have an allergic reaction to a sting, then your tongue starts swelling up and you can't breathe and you black out...
    You will end up laying the bike down anyway.

Top Bottom