• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been thinking about getting my son, who's almost 7, a better RC truck. Well, a monster RC truck. He's has a Revel Modzilla that was decent. Easy to replace broken part and not expensive. The truck was about $80.

What can I get him that's not a pure race truck but pretty durable and around $300. Is that possible? I figured the radio controller will be an expense too.

Is Traxxas any good? Like this one... https://m.traxxas.com/products/mode...MIseP6-LvQ1QIVCQ9pCh344QrREAQYByABEgK1B_D_BwE

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    We have three slashes (2-4x4, and one 4x2) and 4x4 stampede. They are fast little trucks and parts are available at almost any local hobby shop since it is such a popular brand. You know how shooting is a pricey hobby, wait till you start breaking stuff on these trucks (and YOU WILL break stuff). The 4 wheel drive trucks are easier to learn to drive because they are not as "twitchy" as the 2 wheel drive units. It is good father/son time though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We have three slashes (2-4x4, and one 4x2) and 4x4 stampede. They are fast little trucks and parts are available at almost any local hobby shop since it is such a popular brand. You know how shooting is a pricey hobby, wait till you start breaking stuff on these trucks (and YOU WILL break stuff). The 4 wheel drive trucks are easier to learn to drive because they are not as "twitchy" as the 2 wheel drive units. It is good father/son time though.

Thanks. The Modzilla he has now is 4x4. He's pretty good with it.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Might I recommend a 'RC Car Kit'? You and your son could assemble it. He could see what makes it tick...and you could have some fun.

My daughter and I have put 1 1/2 RC CArs together in the last year. We're partway through the second one...bought so I could race her at the RC Track at Johnson Cty Park. I have bought Tamiya. I loved putting the cars together as a kid.

Anyway, just a thought. Tamiya, Kyosho, Traxxas, and many others are good names. Easy to buy parts for. For 300 bucks you should be able to get a good one or piece one together from individual bits.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/trucks-36500

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Might I recommend a 'RC Car Kit'? You and your son could assemble it. He could see what makes it tick...and you could have some fun.

My daughter and I have put 1 1/2 RC CArs together in the last year. We're partway through the second one...bought so I could race her at the RC Track at Johnson Cty Park. I have bought Tamiya. I loved putting the cars together as a kid.

Anyway, just a thought. Tamiya, Kyosho, Traxxas, and many others are good names. Easy to buy parts for. For 300 bucks you should be able to get a good one or piece one together from individual bits.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/trucks-36500

Great. Just something else I can't live without.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/rad...ucks-35000/rc-king-hauler-black-edition-56336

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a Slash 2wd. It's great fun, but I regret not getting a monster/stadium truck instead. The slash sucks on grass over fairway height. Traxxas is a good brand for bashing, and parts support is HUGE.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I haven't been active in RC stuff for a few years. I have 3 Traxxas gas powered (crazy freaken fast) and a couple of Tamiya electrics. They are both great. Electric is the way to go for easy of use. Either brands are easy to get parts for. I have a couple Tamiya's that it bought in the late 80's that I can still find parts for.

It's a great hobby to do with your kids.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This followed me home today from the local hobby shop. My boy's birthday is in a few weeks so this will be his present. Traxxis Bigfoot. The price at the hobby shop was cheaper than anywhere else online. That was surprising.

JS3gagQ.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My Modzilla MT makes an occasional appearance. The geese hate it

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I don't have experience with that truck but I have friends with various Traxxas vehicles and I have a Traxxas T-Maxx nitro 3.3 and it's taken a beating. I don't know how fast his old one was but I think that one is pretty quick. The batteries died in the receiver in my truck and it went full throttle into the side my house and the truck was fine but I messed up the house a little. Hopefully he enjoys it and doesn't wreck into your house!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So I charged the battery and had to make sure it works. I just messed around with it in the living room. I should be a blast. I took everything I had to NOT take it outside and really open it up. I might have to buy one for myself now.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    You can't go wrong with anything Traxxas. I had a Losi before, and it was nice as well, but my Traxxas Nitro Rustler takes the cake. It is an absolute beast and I love the electric start.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    So I charged the battery and had to make sure it works. I just messed around with it in the living room. I should be a blast. I took everything I had to NOT take it outside and really open it up. I might have to buy one for myself now.

:yesway:

That's what happens! I was huge into RC racing, both buggy and indoor carpet...got out of it, bought my son his first RC truck last year, and then it was all history - right back down the rabbit hole.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have one myself. Of course my stampede is 4wd on a longer wheelbase, but i did buy all 4 of my nieces & nephews 2wd pedes. They like sitting INSIDE my crewcab truck in the winter time, while driving their rc trucks outside . We have found that most beaches are deserted during this time, for a nice spot to play. That is until they start fighting on who sits where to see what truck, heh.

Top Bottom