The most fun I've had in a long, long time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Thinking back, one of the things I've enjoyed the most is shooting at shotgun shells out to about 125 yards or so.

I have a highly modified Ruger 10-22 with a scope that is highly accurate and I love setting up the shot shells at random distances and maybe half hiding some of them then spending the day finding and shooting them down with one shot.
    The goal is to hit all of them with one shot each. It's a real challenge and a lot of fun.

It's also a lot cheaper than using my M1A.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I hear ya. Today I bought two 2 liter bottles of cheap pop. Let them sit in the sun for a while and shook them up. From 25 yards with my AR, one shot each.

I think I enjoyed it more than my kids.

A trip to a local dollar store can usually score a few bags of green army men. These placed randomly at whatever yardage you want is also a great challenge.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Used to love putting clay pigeons on the 100yd berm at MCFG and popping them with my Savage until the pieces were too small to see.

It was fun, so MCFG made a rule against it.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Thinking back, one of the things I've enjoyed the most is shooting at shotgun shells out to about 125 yards or so.

I have a highly modified Ruger 10-22 with a scope that is highly accurate and I love setting up the shot shells at random distances and maybe half hiding some of them then spending the day finding and shooting them down with one shot.
    The goal is to hit all of them with one shot each. It's a real challenge and a lot of fun.

It's also a lot cheaper than using my M1A.

Do you lay them on their sides and try to hit the primers?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Do you lay them on their sides and try to hit the primers?

No, I use empty shot shells standing up but turning the base toward me sounds like more fun, I'll have to try that.

Now years ago I tried shooting the primer of a loaded shot-shell with a BB gun and was successful but all it did was pop open, it didn't go BANG or anything like that, it didn't even burn the powder just the primer.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    No, I use empty shot shells standing up but turning the base toward me sounds like more fun, I'll have to try that.

Now years ago I tried shooting the primer of a loaded shot-shell with a BB gun and was successful but all it did was pop open, it didn't go BANG or anything like that, it didn't even burn the powder just the primer.

Same here. However, if you fill a primed shotgun shell with black piwder and shoot the primer, you have MUCH DIFFERENT RESULTS. Don't ask me how I know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks. If I'd had to guess I'd have been correct, based on the OP's location.

I posted some more info in the thread with some of the past info on the matches.

I really like the match format and am learning a lot about long range shooting.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Dum Dums/shot shells or about anything of opportunity. .22's iron sights with young eyes. I seriously doubt I could do this with out an optic these days.

I used to have 20/13 vision but old age, welding, cutting torch and getting metal removed from my eyes has taken its toll.

Optics for me too.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Don't do it with .357 shells stuck in a muddy creek bank. Might lose an eye. Just sayin'.

Top Bottom