• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I love community policing! went in today and it was horribly slow absolutely nothing no motorist assists no locked keys in the car nothing. My partner and i drove every road in our area at least 10 times in the first 2 hours and eventually i had enough. So we decided to hop out and walk our area instead. We talked to so many interesting people and had several come up with questions. passed out goodies to the kids and just had fun. I talked to and was thanked by a recovering addict who says the police saved her life (complete with and awkward hug). also learned how to carve a wood spirit and discussed bluegrass.One of the other departments i applied for is known for just sitting in their cars im really glad i got on with this one instead. Its days like this that just get me excited about the job.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Community policing was first introduced in Indy in 1968. The name has been changed a number of times but it's still pretty much the same thing. It can work pretty well as long as you're assigned to the same district all the time. You clearly have a grasp on the intent. Walking a beat in downtown Indy on day shift was far and away the best job I had in 26 years.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two guys in the Meijer parking lot today started yelling at each other as they walked into the store about a parking situation and one opening their door into the other one.

Once the vulgarities started, I turned around and started looking at them (One was older, the other even older than him). Does that count as "community policing"?

They diffused after calling each other *******s and continued into the store.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Two guys in the Meijer parking lot today started yelling at each other as they walked into the store about a parking situation and one opening their door into the other one.

Once the vulgarities started, I turned around and started looking at them (One was older, the other even older than him). Does that count as "community policing"?

They diffused after calling each other *******s and continued into the store.

Maybe not policing, but keeping order nonetheless.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So is it a practice performed by LEO or some type of community action group.

Sorry if I seem dumb just curious.

By the police. Hence "community policing." The idea is to get the officers involved in the community by attending community events, getting out on foot, etc. Officers don't get involved in the community by just driving around.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I tell you what, here lately I have a new found respect for police officers. I didn't realize what you guys go thru until here recently. They sure do a lot more than throw bad guys in jail.

Not only do they take a chance every time they are on duty, and even off duty....but they carry the baggage of the community. They care about us, it's not just a paycheck, they can get that anywhere. I think many of them want to help people be better people....and for that we are all pretty blessed to have them.

Thanks for what you guys do...and stay safe.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's always community policing in small towns v.s. larger metropolitan areas. I've always said I can take a small town officer and put him in a big city but not the other way around. Town folk expect you to have a cup of coffee, eat a slice of pie and talk b.s. with the best of 'em. Big cities are cold, indifferent and self-centered.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I remember when it was re-introduced in Indy back in the 90s. Seems like a good idea, almost to the point of common sense.

But, in Indy, you'd need SO many officers to really do it in every neighborhood, that it starts getting absurdly expensive. So, they try to target certain areas. Which is great for those areas, but it seems like it becomes pop-a-mole.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I can assure you if you see any cop playing a basketball that cop was not me lol.

I am a really small town cop and a lot of the bigger city guys look down on that but I feel it gives me more opportunities.

Not even 5 minutes after we ditched the car we were stopped and a guy wanted to make a report. he told us we looked busy in the car (not sure how) and he didn't want to bother us. That wouldn't happen if we stayed in the car.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I can assure you if you see any cop playing a basketball that cop was not me lol.

I am a really small town cop and a lot of the bigger city guys look down on that but I feel it gives me more opportunities.

Not even 5 minutes after we ditched the car we were stopped and a guy wanted to make a report. he told us we looked busy in the car (not sure how) and he didn't want to bother us. That wouldn't happen if we stayed in the car.

I've always thought that to be a good cop, one has to be a communicator and information broker. Establishing at least a minimal level of trust and approachability goes a long way. Most good investigators are successful because they can get witnesses and suspects to tell the nice officer things that they a) don't want to tell, and/or b) might not be in their interest to tell.

Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    Not law enforcement ,but witnessed a few community policing occurrences. One little league game the field ump got called home , child fell injured,cop was walking through the park called the chief,umped 5 innings, called it part of the job. Other occurrence, walking the neighborhood noticed the flowerbeds messy grass longer than normal of an elderly mans house ,asked the neighbor about it. Elderly man just doesn't give a crap any more he was told. The mans dog had passed he was lonely. Got the daughter involved new puppy showed up,neighbor kid helped mow the yard ,old guy supervises weeding ,kid makes a buck all happy. Being involved in your neighborhood helps all. My brother is in law enforcement he thinks the new officers are to reliant on technology, gotta talk to people .

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein Freekforge was too smart to get hired by IMPD. :):

I applied 4 times .....

Is that why I didn't get hired ?????

as embarrassing as it is i misspelled the agency name on my written exam and didn't catch it until right before i turned it in.:laugh: but i blame that on nerves i also thought i failed the physical test because i got the numbers mixed up. it was a weird day

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Walking a beat in downtown Indy on day shift was far and away the best job I had in 26 years.

after my interview when they asked if i had any question my first one was "can i get out and walk" and my second was "i noticed the bike can i ride that too". I dont know why guys want to be cooped up in a car isolated from the world. I'll talk to anyone who wants to talk. Im not from the town but i feel i can say it is my community after just a couple months of working and thats just because i try to be friends with everyone there even the turds that hate cops.

Top Bottom