Free money... free money... free money...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Dang, not on the list. I get daily calls for hotel stays, credit card accounts, and car warranty requests. None of them list legitimate company names or use non-spoofed phone numbers. I am sick of them.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Dang, not on the list. I get daily calls for hotel stays, credit card accounts, and car warranty requests. None of them list legitimate company names or use non-spoofed phone numbers. I am sick of them.

I always act like I can't hear and see how many time I can get them to repeat their spiel. Record is 3.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just get calls to send me whitepapers on products so "scammers" can collect bogus referral bonuses from the author. Nothing juicy like that.

"Hi this is ______ from __[marketer]____ We would like to send you a whitepaper from __[vendor]______ on the topic of ___________. I show your email address is... "

If I agree, I may or may not get a whitepaper. Then several weeks later I get a call from the vendor. "Hi I'm your local sales rep. I understand you have expressed an interest in our product. What can we do for you?"

Turns out these marketers just cold call and crank out fake leads and collect the referral bonuses. Before I stopped accepting them, I had several reps that were shocked how he was connected to me. He had it in his referral list that I had asked to be contacted about buying their product as a hot lead eager to buy. All I really did is accept a solicitation to read a document on the problem their product solves.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I just get calls to send me whitepapers on products so "scammers" can collect bogus referral bonuses from the author. Nothing juicy like that.

"Hi this is ______ from __[marketer]____ We would like to send you a whitepaper from __[vendor]______ on the topic of ___________. I show your email address is... "

If I agree, I may or may not get a whitepaper. Then several weeks later I get a call from the vendor. "Hi I'm your local sales rep. I understand you have expressed an interest in our product. What can we do for you?"

Turns out these marketers just cold call and crank out fake leads and collect the referral bonuses. Before I stopped accepting them, I had several reps that were shocked how he was connected to me. He had it in his referral list that I had asked to be contacted about buying their product as a hot lead eager to buy. All I really did is accept a solicitation to read a document on the problem their product solves.
    I've asked to be removed from their calling list more times than I can count. Sometimes multiple times in a single day. Got to the point where I'd recognize them when they'd call and I'd say "I bet you want to send me a white paper, don't you?"

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I get the car warranty all the time. Last time they called I answered the phone with "Stop. Don't say it. You're not going to extend the warranty on my 2008 G6 with 170k miles" and hung up on them.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I never get calls from actual people. Generally it is pre-recorded with no option to get removed from list. It comes from a different number everytime.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wait!!! Wait!!! You guys actually answer calls that come into your cell? Heck even when the caller is someone on my contact list i dont answer! Ya can leave voicemail ill call back maybe. :)

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I checked all 3 of our numbers and nothing.

If you are on AT&T get Call Protect from the app store. It will tell you if its a telemarketer & will auto block some calls. You can also put in numbers to be blocked & they can't even leave you a VM.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I checked all 3 of our numbers and nothing.

If you are on AT&T get Call Protect from the app store. It will tell you if its a telemarketer & will auto block some calls. You can also put in numbers to be blocked & they can't even leave you a VM.

The problem is alot of them use spoofing; they transmit bogus CID info. I know. My boss constantly has to talk to irate people ticked off that we are calling them trying to sell them something. It typically takes between 5 and 10 minutes for her to explain what spoofing is and that *WE* did not call them; the bad people simply transmitted one of our phone numbers (coincidentally, not targeted) to them to hide their true identity.

Hell, I had that 3 weeks ago. Sitting in the car driving down the road with my cell in the hands free cradle, music up jamming. My phone rings and I answer. "Yes, this is George. You just called me?" Um... no. I did not. "Yes you did. I just hit redial and it dialed your number. It was in my caller ID."

After some back and forth with me explaining call spoofing, my phone shows no outbound calls, I have no idea who you are, and I was busy singing along to the music in my car. I ended with "So unless you have voice mail of a guy singing Bohemian Rhapsody very poorly, I assure you it was not me who just called you. If it were you would have heard me singing." He laughed and finally realized it couldnt have been me.

Same thing with using MS Outlook to block spammers. The spammers avoid this by using random return addresses to bypass that feature; they often never use the same email address twice.

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I checked my parents numbers & my dad's number is on the list. I sent him the link to get his $$.

The problem is alot of them use spoofing; they transmit bogus CID info. I know. My boss constantly has to talk to irate people ticked off that we are calling them trying to sell them something. It typically takes between 5 and 10 minutes for her to explain what spoofing is and that *WE* did not call them; the bad people simply transmitted one of our phone numbers (coincidentally, not targeted) to them to hide their true identity.

Hell, I had that 3 weeks ago. Sitting in the car driving down the road with my cell in the hands free cradle, music up jamming. My phone rings and I answer. "Yes, this is George. You just called me?" Um... no. I did not. "Yes you did. I just hit redial and it dialed your number. It was in my caller ID."

After some back and forth with me explaining call spoofing, my phone shows no outbound calls, I have no idea who you are, and I was busy singing along to the music in my car. I ended with "So unless you have voice mail of a guy singing Bohemian Rhapsody very poorly, I assure you it was not me who just called you. If it were you would have heard me singing." He laughed and finally realized it couldnt have been me.

Same thing with using MS Outlook to block spammers. The spammers avoid this by using random return addresses to bypass that feature; they often never use the same email address twice.

Off topic.

I got it because I had a church from CA start calling me and leaving a bible verse on my VM EVERY day. They had no way to get in touch with them. I blocked them on my phone, but they could still leave a VM. With the Call Protect, they couldn't even leave a VM.
    I ended up sending a letter to the pastor, secretary, and treasurer to their home address. He text me the next day to say he was sorry. He lied to me and said the number was someone who had asked for the bible verse and had changed numbers, but not taken mine off. I let him know I had had this number for about 10 years.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Mine was on the list. Nobody else in the family was. Hopefully this isn't yet another scam to get my number on yet another call list.

I have to answer the phone as part of my job. I am getting so many local numbers that are spam and it is beyond frustrating. Now my wife's number is being used as she is getting calls back from people saying she called them.

Gotta love technology I guess.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Goodness that security check is insane... multistep multiple choice... the one square had a tiny corner of the streetsign in it so I clicked that square too and got kicked back... ugh

Top Bottom