• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I though about getting one to do some picture frame moulding. It's easy enough to do, just not sure if the cost of a miter saw is worth it compared to hiring someone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good question. Mine's like 20+ years old and is still running fine. It's an old Craftsman with compound cut ability.

My information is too old to answer your question but one accessory I did buy to go with mine is a portable stand. I'd recommend one for any miter saw.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Compound miter that is a slider would be my vote. If you have the $ spring for a 12" never know when you may need the extra blade size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Hitachi 14" compound. It was bought new in 08 if memory serves and I use it a lot. I have 3 or 4 blades that cover all the things my ability allows. I looked at a stand for it but we have it and the table saw set up on a 4'X8' piece of plywood 1' thick. It takes up most of the car port. The table makes a great work area.

If you have one you will find all kinds of cool things to do with it.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I am actually looking into adding another miter saw to my current setup. I am leaning towards a 7 1/4in. sliding miter. Blades are cheaper, and will also work in my circular saw. Light weight and a small footprint as space is at a premium.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not a saw expert, but I have noticed the conspicuous absence of mention of the purpose you have in mind. There is a reason people golf with a bag full of clubs and buy guns in a wide variety of calibers and configurations.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I would probably go for a 10 inch sliding compound miter saw. They're cheaper to buy blades for, easier to find blades for. With the smaller blade, they spin faster than a 12 inch at the same speed so you can use few teeth per inch for the same quality. its cheaper to have the blades sharpened. there's less blade flex for more accurate cuts.

Then again, if I was constantly cutting wood that needed the extra capacity without flipping it over, I'd go for a bigger saw.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would probably go for a 10 inch sliding compound miter saw. They're cheaper to buy blades for, easier to find blades for. With the smaller blade, they spin faster than a 12 inch at the same speed so you can use few teeth per inch for the same quality. its cheaper to have the blades sharpened. there's less blade flex for more accurate cuts.

Then again, if I was constantly cutting wood that needed the extra capacity without flipping it over, I'd go for a bigger saw.

I never considered the price of the blades when I bought both saws. I knew what I would be doing and bought the appropriate tools for the task.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I cut some big stuff on my 12" compound, but kinda wished I had bought a sliding version. But this one will do me fine at this point. I am in the waning years of my ambitious woodworking.

OP, they are a great replacement for a circular saw(handheld). They are great for making crosscuts.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    A few points:
    1) Non sliders are generally more accurate, though you do lose cut width. I have a 12" fixed blade and havent found that to be a problem with demensional lumber.
    2) A sliding saw will need space behind it for the slides, so you can't permenantly mout it to a bench up against the wall.
    3) If doing crown molding or the like, you may find a double bevel saw ( the blade will tilt left and right) to be very handy.
    4) depending on how often you cut thick material, I would seriously consider a 12" model. I don't recall if I was able to cut a 4x4 post in one cut with my 10" craftsman.
    5) No matter what brand and size you buy, get a GOOD blade for it(I like the Freud blades, personally). That makes all the difference in cut quality....especially for fine projects.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    If you buy name brand I don't really think you can go wrong. I try to steer people away from harbor freight or tool shop type power tools. If you are cutting 2x6 regularly a sliding miter would be very handy. A do it all solution would be an old fashioned radial arm saw at the expense of portability.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've got a Jet 10" (non-sliding). I haven't been real impressed with the accuracy of the fence, but other than that it's been fine. I can cut a 4x4 in one pass and a 2x6 in one pass. I've never tried a 4x6, but doubt you'd get it in a single pass. The dewalt sliders seem to be highly regarded, and when I upgrade, that's what I'll probably go with. You'll really like the miter saw. I use it probably more than any other tool aside from my table saw.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I was told, several years ago, that the 10" is the "residential" version, designed for the occasional use and small project, whereas the 12" typically will have a more robust motor, to last through heavier work.

YMMV.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're wanting to do basic cuts, you really don't need a sliding compound. I'd go with a 12 inch since it can handle thicker, wider boards easier. I've done the trim and crown molding in my house with a non slider.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As long as you have room for a slider you will have a lot less instances over time where you wish you had more capacity. You will not regret double bevel. I don't know what is considered the top dog these days, the last time I paid attention Bosch was getting reviews as the latest and greatest but that was at least 5 years ago. In the professional shops that I am familiar with everyone moved on from Hitachi to Dewalt 15 years ago. Some of those saws are still running but the ones that have died have been replaced with newer Dewalts as the owners have been happy with them. Lights on the saws and laser sights are features I have really embraced and wish I had on my 12 inch 15 year old Dewalt.

Top Bottom