• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    One of my cell phones got stolen over the weekend so I had it turned off almost immediately. The next day I get a text to my other cell number saying they knew who stole it and wanted $80 for me to buy it back, now they are texting and saying they want $150. I have names, addresses, etc. in the text messages. Is this something IMPD will help with or should I just meet them, pay the ransom and try to get my stuff back on my own?

South side of Indy, almost in Greenwood.

My never ending saga continues.......

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Personally i would contact police and set up a meet thru them so they can bust their ass. Damn I hate a thief. Good Luck!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Wow. Yeah call the police. Last weekend on a late night outting i noticed a small black knapsack outside a bar i was attending. No one seemed to touch it for a long time. Went over and picked it up contents were three iphones, deck of cards. Pair of scissors and a janked dollar store lighter. I gave it to the bartender, doubt most get their phones back. You might get lucky and get your phone back and put a criminal away.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How did they know the number of your other phone? :scratch:

Are they that stupid to send you their address and tell you if you go there they will sell you your own phone?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wouldn't have posted or called the police but I'd damn sure meet them with a couple friends. That's just some out right b.s.

If I stole your phone I would pray that you call the police instead of coming in person with a few buddies. :):

Some people are just clueless.
    I'm sure it could be classified as "suicide by INGO member". :nuts:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Many of you are thinking like me.....but I'll be honest, I'd hate to go "their" over $400-500 and a bunch of junkies. I mean, that is a lot of money....but it could get real expensive the other way.

Daughter is on way to Indy now to meet with IMPD ....we'll see how this goes.

I didn't know the dirt bags, but apparently they looked at the numbers called/texted before the phone was disabled.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Many of you are thinking like me.....but I'll be honest, I'd hate to go "their" over $400-500 and a bunch of junkies. I mean, that is a lot of money....but it could get real expensive the other way.

Daughter is on way to Indy now to meet with IMPD ....we'll see how this goes.

I didn't know the dirt bags, but apparently they looked at the numbers called/texted before the phone was disabled.

I don't think anyone is actually thinking about meeting them with money in hand.
    That shouldn't even be an option.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Probably in the eyes of the law as well, that's blackmail.

I think the word would be "extortion".

Blackmail
    the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding money from a person in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information about that person:"they were acquitted of charges of blackmail"

Extortion
    the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think the word would be "extortion".

Blackmail
    the action, treated as a criminal offense, of demanding money from a person in return for not revealing compromising or injurious information about that person:"they were acquitted of charges of blackmail"

Extortion
    the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

In might be neither extortion nor blackmail then.

He's asking money in exchange of revealing who has the stolen phone.
    Maybe it would be extortion if threats were made, like threatening to destroy the phone if the OP refuses to pay.

Top Bottom