• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Looking at used truck prices makes me cringe. Truck I have now, I bought with 38,000 miles on it and now it has 250,000. Has anyone bought a new truck that dealers are trying to push out the door to make room for the new models coming in? How negotiable are these year old prices. Anyone purchase new at the end of the year with insight?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought my 2012 Ram new in August of 2013. They were pretty anxious to get it off of the lot and I felt like I got a good deal. I'd say it will depend on what make you're interested in. I was planning to order a 2017 Ram but was too late (this was in June) and they still haven't opened up ordering for the 2018's yet. I don't think Ram will be too willing to give deep discounts until the 2018's start showing up, they don't want to be sitting around with an empty lot. Other makes may be in a different position.

I ended up buying a used 2013 Ram with 43k on the clock instead of waiting on a new one, glad I did.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Never thought I would shop for new. The 2 year old truck seemed like the smart buy after the depreciation brought the price down. After searching for the past few weeks, I'm thinking a Work Truck model(basic) new with the warranty is a smarter choice. I don't know. Crazy truck prices!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't disagree with you. Used truck prices are way out of line these days in my opinion. I bought used because I have to have a truck come deer season. The 2013 I found was close to what I was going to order and after taking it for a test drive I spent a week trying to decide if I wanted to buy it. The price wasn't a steal but it was fair and the truck had been really well taken care of.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I bought my new 2013 GMC in July right before the next gen 2014's hit the lots. Deep discounts were available to make room. As an FYI, 2018 is the last year of the current gen Chevy/GMC. If you can hold out until next summer, you might get really good discounts on outgoing 2018's.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I bought my Ram new in 2012 when the incentives were really up there. It was the first actually new vehicle I'd ever bought, and like you the used truck market just made it a smart buy. Make sure you search for all incentives available, I got an extra rebate as a USAA member. Veterans, students, certain clubs, etc. often have rebates of $500-$1500 on certain models.

Capitol City Ford: New Ford & Used Car Dealership Indianapolis IN They are running a "employee pricing" sale per their radio ad, plus rebates, plus the financing. We bought my wife's car during a similar sale at a Chrysler dealer. They needed to move a lot of cars to keep themselves in the tier they wanted to be in and sales were slow, so they ran the "employee pricing". They still ended up buying nearly a dozen cars from themselves to get their numbers, but when you can catch them needing to meet a quota like that and combined with some decent incentives, that's about the best price on a new vehicle you'll find.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Make sure you search for all incentives available, I got an extra rebate as a USAA member. Veterans, students, certain clubs, etc. often have rebates of $500-$1500 on certain models.

Exactly what I did. The dealership even gave me a heads up for all the available discounts and I joined USAA that day just to get another $500.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Found searching through "CarGurus" website a good way to view vehicles.

Shows average market values and sales pricing on both new and used. You can pretty much see what is on any lot and how their price stacks up to other dealers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have high hopes for the 2019 next gens. They're going aluminum like Ford, except the bed. The 2014-2018 generation was a disappointment, I'm glad I got a 2013.

There were lot of serious innovations in those models. Seems a lot has been ironed out.
    I saw a red 2017 the other day. Not the bull faced all chrome front end but a painted one. I hate all that chrome up front.
    It had Black wheels. Tinted glass. Extended cab 1500. Just what I am wanting.........:drool:

The 1500 would fill the bill for me as I rarely tow any more and my Chev. conversion van is a 3500 with the tow package and it will pull a house I swear it will.
    It is also Red with Black wheels.....:)

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I have high hopes for the 2019 next gens. They're going aluminum like Ford, except the bed. The 2014-2018 generation was a disappointment, I'm glad I got a 2013.
    I'm not a Chevy/GMC guy by any means, but the 2012's were perfect. My boss had a 2012 2500 Duramax, and that truck was a hoss. It was a blast to drive, and it genuinely made me reconsider where Chevy ranked on my list of truck manufactures

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a Chevy/GMC guy by any means, but the 2012's were perfect. My boss had a 2012 2500 Duramax, and that truck was a hoss. It was a blast to drive, and it genuinely made me reconsider where Chevy ranked on my list of truck manufactures

I really believe they are pretty equal across the board these days. It is all about ergonomics/appearance for me any more. They all do the job.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been looking at new trucks and am pondering whether I want a new 2017 gas burner F250 XL regular cab or a used 2016 F250 XL Diesel King Cab with 21,000 miles....price is the same on them both, which is half what my house cost, that's crazy.

Top Bottom