• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My integration of my new AV system did not go optimally. I wanted a radio receiver to listen to the radio (e.g. early weekend morning, reading drinking coffee, listening to NPR) as part of the system, but no joy.

In my dining room which adjoins the living room I have my paternal granfather's Montgomery Ward Airline. Identical to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXK7EyfvAI

Has anyone refurbished one of these so that it is upgraded with modern tech? Is it cheaper just to do buy a console radio like this? Do they make them still?

Just want a radio, no CD, DVD player, etc.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have refurbished an old tube radio with some success, but here is the real resource:

https://antiqueradio.org/welcome.htm

This is a restoration site, not conversion to a modern system.

If it were me and I didn't want to do a full resto, I'd probably leave the original innards alone and install a bluetooth speaker in there and get fancy so that if I turned on the bluetooth speaker (with an external switch), the dial would be lighted, then run it with my cell phone. Mine has an FM tuner.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The Ccrane CC radio is a bit more modern, but well made. I've been abusing the Am Fm shortwave version for a good 10 years now, still cranking it out!

Top Bottom