• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is the second e-mail notification I got from the state police explaining how to navigate a roundabout. I've never gotten a duplicate bulletin before. What does that tell you?

Simple Tips to Navigate a Roundabout

...Simple Tips to Navigate a Roundabout

[FONT=&amp]
    Vigo County—Since roundabouts have been recently established in the Terre Haute area, motorists often ask area law enforcement the proper way to navigate through them.
    [/FONT]
    To help educate the motoring public and lesson anxiety when navigating through one, the Indiana State Police Putnamville District, along with the Vigo County Sheriff’s Office, and the Terre Haute Police Department, offer the following:​
    Proper Way to Drive through a Roundabout

• [*=left]Slow down and stay in your lane
      [*=left]Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout
      [*=left]Obey one-way signs at all times
      [*=left]When traffic is clear, merge to the right and continue to stay in your lane
      [*=left]Continue through the roundabout until you reach your exit point
      [*=left]Avoid stopping in a roundabout
      [*=left]Yield to pedestrians and bicycles when there is a crosswalk
      [*=left]When exiting, signal and exit to the right
      [*=left]Left turns are completed by circling around the center island and then making a right turn to exit.
    Indiana law requires motorists to yield the right-of-way to semi-trucks while driving inside a roundabout.​
    Roundabouts are designed to reduce potential crash points within an intersection and improve the flow of traffic. They also reduce crashes involving injuries and fatalities, according to Indiana Department of Transportation...​

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What do you do if you are involved in an accident on a roundabout?

Last time it happened to me (us actually, my son had his Learner's Permit, 150 year old guy blew through the yield sign and caught the front right of our CRV) my son moved the vehicle out of the traffic lane and I called 911 since the 150 year old guy seemed to be having a medical issue. It was just Imwaytoooldtobedrivingitis. I think that was trip #2 to Diamond Collision.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Seems like that they tried to reinvent the wheel on the round abouts. If people knew how to drive responsibly.
    The cost of the construction is crazy compared to a regular intersection

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Very rarely do I ever see them used properly. People either treat them as a slalom course or a stop sign.

Im with Larry.... I avoid them as much as possible.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Seems like that they tried to reinvent the wheel on the round abouts. If people knew how to drive responsibly.
    The cost of the construction is crazy compared to a regular intersection

I know one of them constructed in vigo county was done so at a four way stop. People wanted a stop light but the intersection didn't qualify for a light. They did a roundabout and got a grant to do so because it saved gas (not stopping). My previous car was low to the ground, if one was clear I took them at 40mph if an area with a higher speed limit. My new car is a higher riding car so I can't do that anymore

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had no problem with the roundabouts in Terre Haute, it was the stop lights down town that drove me nuts! It took us 15 minutes to go 9 blocks! That was early on a Sunday morning with no other traffic on the roads.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no issues with the round abouts just the morons that abuse them.
    I give them a real treat when they roll out right in front of me like I am to yield when already on the loop.

Most times it is smooth and easy.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like the idea of roundabouts. I don't like that most people don't get them.

I once saw an old lady enter a roundabout by turning left then exiting on the left. She appeared to be trying to turn left as the roundabout were a conventional 4-way stop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I once saw an old lady enter a roundabout by turning left then exiting on the left. She appeared to be trying to turn left as the roundabout were a conventional 4-way stop.

She needs to turn in the DL

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

When I lived in MD roundabouts were EVERYWHERE. I couldn't begin to count how many times I saw that. Weekly, at least. probably more. One time I was in the roundabout on my motorcycle and found myself looking head-on at a car in the process of doing that. Needed a new pair of shorts after that one.

I thought I had escaped them when I crossed the iron curtain. But now they are showing up more and more here. They can work if either traffic is very light or they are BIG. The only high-traffic ones I saw work were the very wide ones like in Annapolis, MD (which still required lights to time people entering the loop).

Traffic "engineers" do some really stupid stuff, too. Here in Fort Wayne there is a "roundabout" (more dogbone shaped) on a road crossing I-69. They "designed" it so the INSIDE lane is the lane that exits to get onto the on-ramps, so you have to cross a lane to exit the roundabout. Multi-lane roundabouts are just stupid (unless, again, they are HUGE).

hate them.

-rvb

Top Bottom